My idea of the perfect chocolate cake is rich, moist and with a creamy frosting on top. If you are on the same opinion, you will totally like this double chocolate cake. A delicious dark layer covered by white chocolate frosting: a simple perfection.
I must admit that things are not always ideal and smooth in my cooking and photography world. Of course, there are days when whatever I bake or cook turns out great and I manage to take sharp, beautiful and colourful pictures. But there are also days when something always goes wrong: either the prepared dish is beautiful but not tasty enough and I just have to redo it (or leave it!) or I manage to bake something fantastic and then I take appalling pictures… Unfortunately I had one of these days with this wonderful cake: a rainy afternoon when the sun was just not appearing in the sky and none of the pictures looked good to me.
If you ever tried food photography you have certainly noticed that some foods are more photogenic than others. For example most fruits are great photography objects with their colours and pretty textures. On the other hand photographing dark chocolate is a real challenge for me. It is quite difficult to find structure and sharpness in the dark texture. It won’t be exaggerated if I say that this otherwise perfect double chocolate cake was one of my biggest photography challenges. And certainly not the most successful one, looking now at the pictures. The weather wasn’t helping me at all, so after many attempts to make some good looking photos I gave up (I know, I still have a lot to learn about photography 🙂
Despite of my unsuccessful photography, I am sharing the recipe here today because this cake is really good. It is not only very delicious but also incredibly simple: the perfect decadent dessert for any occasion! The cocoa and coffee are pairing perfectly in the cake, while the frosting, made of white chocolate and sour cream, is adding a great creamy finishing touch… Chocolate lovers, preheat your ovens! Here comes the recipe of the easiest double chocolate cake!
Easy Double Chocolate Cake
For the base:
- Preheat oven to 170 degrees C. Line a 20-23 cm round cake pan with a circle of baking paper. Grease the pan well.
- In a bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Stir carefully and set aside.In a mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until foamy. Add olive oil, vanilla, coffee and sour cream and whisk until homogeneous. Gradually add the dry ingredients and whisk until absorbed.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. Let the cake cool well before frosting it.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat for 2-3 minutes, until homogeneous.
- Top the cake with the frosting. Serve immediately or refrigerated.