This wonderful eggless hot chocolate cake would satisfy every chocolate lover! It is a decadent and tasty dessert which combines moist cake base and delicious hot chocolate sauce.
To be very honest, the main reason why I made this hot chocolate cake without eggs was the cold weather. The day when I baked it was a “chilly” Saturday, when the thermometer was not moving above the -14 degrees C feeling like -23 to -26. In such weather the best thing for a human being (apart from the mulled wine) is a cup of hot chocolate, a piece of cake or a few biscuits and an interesting book: all of them in a corner, close to the heater. Unfortunately I didn’t have the possibility to experience this dream of mine, at least not fully, because: 1) Our two year old was running around the house during the whole day, trying to expend all its energy, in spite of not being able to go out and 2) I had way too many things to do on that day, including to work on a new blog post…
Eventually I decided that I could at least go close to my dream by preparing some hot chocolate… and a cake! In a real Italian Chocolateria the hot chocolate comes with cocoa biscuits. But it came to my mind that I could serve it as a cake topping. I really liked this idea so I decided to try it out as soon as possible.
Most cakes are made with eggs but on that day as an exception, I just didn’t have any in the fridge. I didn’t have any willpower nor did I have time to go out and buy them. So I bravely started baking the cake without any eggs.
But when it was ready, unexpectedly even to me, the result was quite successful. It was nicely moist even without the chocolate sauce. Very satisfied, I let it cool completely and then I poured the hot chocolate on top.
I need to mention here that this hot chocolate recipe is suitable also for drinking apart from the cake sauce. You can prepare a double portion, pour some into mugs and drink nice hot chocolate together with the cake. That way you will get a triple chocolate decadent experience at the same time!
With no exaggeration I need to say that this eggless hot chocolate cake exceeded my expectations. After taking all the pictures I enjoyed a piece and I think it was the first time that day that I looked outside and I smiled at the snow. I couldn’t believe that such a simple dessert, made literally with whatever products I had found in the fridge, would be so good!
If you enjoy drinking hot chocolate in the winter, you will love this cake. It is so easy that you can make it at almost any moment! Don’t believe it? Check the recipe below!
Hot Chocolate Cake
- 170 g milk
- 10 g plain cornstarch
- 1 tbs cocoa powder
- 2 tbs sugar
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Line the bottom of a 22-24 cm cake pan with a circle of baking paper and grease it well.
- In a bowl combine flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder and cocoa and stir to blend. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together olive oil and sugar. Add yogurt and vanilla and continue mixing until homogeneous. Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing carefully until just absorbed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake the cake for about 40-50 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the centre comes out clean. Remove the pan from the oven and let cool for 5-10 minutes, before removing the cake.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before topping it with the hot chocolate.
Hot Chocolate sauce:
- In a small bowl combine 50 ml milk, the cornstarch and cocoa powder and mix until dissolved.
- In a saucepan over medium heat combine 120 ml milk and the sugar and bring to boil. When it starts simmering, lower the heat and add the cornstarch mix, while stirring continuously to avoid burning. When the mixture starts thickening, remove from heat.
- Using a toothpick make small holes on top of the cake. Pour evenly the hot chocolate sauce. Serve immediately.