and Dani’s Cookings blog turning 5 years
The spring is almost here and I would like to celebrate this with a happy cake: Coconut Cake With Raspberry Frosting! But I have one more reason for celebration this week: this blog officially turned 5 years since my very first post! I can’t believe that all this time has passed already!
This blog is still just a hobby for me but I am very proud with it. During these 5 years I learned so many things about baking and cakes, about photography and even about web design. I made beautiful celebration cakes for friends and family that made people smile and even cry for happiness. I improved my photography to a level that makes me proud to look at. I learned to write recipes and posts in two languages. People from all around the world are visiting my site! I improved my time management: blogging when working on a full time job and being a mother of a toddler is not easy. But I always try to do my best in order to present better recipes and better pictures. The goal of this blog has been always the same: to inspire people with the things I cook and bake.
In fact Dani’s Cookings has two birthdays: the day when I published my first post 5 years ago at my old wordpress.com blog and the day when I officially started daniscookings.com. I can’t say which date is more meaningful for me so I prefer just to celebrate them both 🙂
I need to confess that this Coconut Cake With Raspberry Frosting was not made especially for the blog’s birthday. In fact it was one of the three desserts which I made during my 3 day baking challenge. But it actually is a cake that suits perfectly the occasion: it is delicious and is prepared with some of my favourite ingredients.
The frosting is made with dried raspberries: this was an experiment that I wanted to try as they are not that watery as the fresh or frozen raspberries. The result was quite good in my opinion. The only down side of using dried fruits in this case is probably the colour: the frosting did not become as vibrant as it would have been with fresh raspberries.
And before going to the recipe, I need to mention that I have one more reason to celebrate: my blog has been nominated as one of the best Bulgarian blogs with cake recipes for 2016! This is a big honour for me and I am really proud!
Coconut Cake With Raspberry Frosting
For the cake base:
For the frosting and for topping:
- 100 g dried raspberries
- 100 ml hot water
- 125 g butter soft
- 350 g cream cheese
- 185 g powdered sugar
- 100 g shredded coconut
- fresh or frozen raspberries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line the bottom of a 17-20 cm cake pan with a circle of parchment paper and then grease well the inside of the pan.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, spelt flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together oil, honey and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, vanilla and sour cream. Continue whisking until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing carefully with a spatula until just absorbed. At the end fold in the coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and the top becomes golden brown.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before removing the cake. Let the base reach room temperature before assembling the cake.
- In a medium bowl soak the dried raspberries in the hot water and let them stay for about 1 hour to absorb it.
- In a food processor puree the soaked raspberries together with any remaining water, until almost smooth (it’s ok to leave some unprocessed chunks).
Assemble the cake:
- With a serrated knife cut the cake base horizontally in 3 equal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and smear on top some of the frosting. Continue the process with the other 2 layers. Spread the remaining frosting over the cake and all around it. Sprinkle with coconut flakes and decorate with fresh or frozen raspberries.