This delicious Double Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry sauce is the best dessert that you can prepare in less than one hour! It is decadent and full of flavour: a fantastic treat for every chocolate lover!
Few weeks ago we had lunch with some friends at a nice restaurant in our neighbourhood. As usual, I was impatient to finish with the main course and to try one of the desserts. I chose white chocolate mousse and it was a great choice: very nice and rich. The only thing I didn’t approve completely was the fact that the mousse was garnished with fresh fruits: apples, kiwi and oranges. Somehow the richness of the mousse didn’t go well with the freshness of these particular fruits.
Well, as you can expect, I ate it all but as soon as we went out of the restaurant I started dreaming about making some chocolate mousse myself. I thought that the perfect mousse would have a fresh garnish but not as fresh as apple: it had to be also rich at the same time. After pondering for a day or two, eventually I came up with the perfect solution: a combination of dark and white chocolate mousse with raspberry topping.
If I have to choose only 3 fruits that are best to pair with chocolate I would probably go for strawberries, raspberries and bananas. Out of them raspberries and strawberries would add some freshness to the dessert, while bananas will bring additional richness. I love raspberries more, that’s why I decided to go with them for that topping. Nevertheless if you prefer strawberries you might prepare it with them.
Apart from being incredibly delicious, this Double Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry sauce is also very fast and easy to make. As long as your cream is whipped properly (which means to become really thick), the dessert is almost done! Then adding the chocolate to the cream and preparing the toping are easy tasks.
Seriously: even if you never made a chocolate mousse before, you will succeed with this one! It contains no eggs and doesn’t require complicated techniques. It is a simple decadent pleasure in a glass, made with only 5 ingredients!
Double Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry sauce
White and dark chocolate mousse:
- Before starting to prepare the mousse, refrigerate the heavy cream for 6 to 8 hours on the top rack of the fridge.
- In a large mixing bowl whip 2/3 cup (about 150 ml) heavy cream until very thick.
- In a medium heatproof bowl combine while chocolate, broken into pieces and 1/3 cup (50 ml) heavy cream. Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until the chocolate melts. Let cool for 5 minutes, while whisking gently.
- With a rubber spatula carefully fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until homogeneous. Spoon the prepared white chocolate mousse into glasses or ramequins, filling them about 1/3. Set aside.
- Whip another 2/3 cup (about 150 ml) until very thick.
- Following the above process, melt also the dark chocolate together with the remaining 1/3 cup (50 ml) heavy cream.
- Carefully fold the dark chocolate mixture into the whipped cream. Spoon the dark mousse in the glasses over the white mousse.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine raspberries and sugar. Whisk until the mixture starts to thicken: about 10-15 minutes.
- Spoon the prepared sauce on top of the chocolate mousse.
- Refrigerate the mouse for 2-3 hours before serving it.
- You can place the bowl and the beaters of the mixer for 15 minutes in the freezer before starting to whip the cream, in order to ensure best results.
- When combining the chocolate with the whipped cream, try first adding some of the cream to the chocolate mixture in order to temper it. Add some more, mix well and then add the whole chocolate mixture into the whipped cream.
- Optionally you could prepare the raspberry sauce right before serving and pour it hot onto the refrigerated mousse.