This marvellous Walnut Sponge cake with Chocolate Chips Frosting is very rich and light at the same time. It is in fact a cake with two frostings: whipped cream with chocolate chips between the layers and cream cheese frosting on top.
Baking cakes has become more than a hobby for me. It is a way to express my moods, feelings and emotions. It is always a journey in search of great taste combinations… like walnuts and chocolate, for instance!
I really like sponge cake. I’ve used it as a base for many of my most successful layer cakes: the Chocolate Sponge Cake with Cheesecake filling, the Easy Profiterole Cake with Mascarpone Frosting and even in the unusually great Raspberry Cheesecake Cake. The sponge base is very light as it normally does not contain fats, so it pairs perfectly with a rich frosting.
In the current recipe I used two types of frosting because I was a bit undecided. I wanted chocolate chips but I didn’t want the cake to be covered all around with them. For that reason I added them only in the frosting between the layers. They created a wonderful crispy and chocolaty feeling in every bite!
On the other hand the cream cheese frosting on top ads a velvety touch. It is very similar to the one of the Moist Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting but with a bit more prevalence of the cream cheese… And so the overall experience of the Walnut Sponge cake with Chocolate Chips Frosting is a great contrast between crunchy, fluffy, chocolate, vanilla and walnuts.
The decoration of the cake was a challenge for me, I admit. Recently I avoid piping on my cakes because I normally have little time to spend on decoration. So I chose to cover the top almost completely with fruits coated in chocolate and also with little chocolate balls. I think it looks good that way but if you’d like something different, there are many other ways to decorate that cake: halved walnuts, piped frosting, chocolate chunks or chocolate chips are just some of the ideas.
Indeed that cake was a big success! My family loved it and so did I!
Walnut Sponge cake with Chocolate Chips Frosting
For the cake base:
- 60 g ground walnuts
- 4 eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 100 g self raising flour
- 20 ml milk
- 150 g sugar
- pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Chips Frosting:
- 200 g whipping cream
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 100 g dark chocolate chips
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 125 g butter, soft
- 350 g cream cheese
- 150 g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate coated fruits and chocolate balls.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line a 18-20 cm (7-8 inch) cake pan with a circle of baking paper and then grease well the pan.
- In a bowl combine ground walnuts and flour and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until thick and pale. Gradually add the dry ingredients and the milk, folding gently with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Wash and wipe the beaters of the mixer before beating the egg whites.
- In another large bowl beat the whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula little by little add the egg whites to the yolk mixture. Fold gently until uniform.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with the spatula if needed. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until room temperature before assembling it.
Chocolate Chip Frosting:
- In a large bowl beat together cream, sugar and vanilla until very thick. With a rubber spatula fold in the chocolate chips.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat butter, vanilla and sugar until fluffy. Add cream cheese and continue beating until the frosting becomes smooth and fluffy.
- Cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal layers (the easiest way is to refrigerate it first and to use a long serrated knife).
- Place one layer on a cake stand/ serving plate and cover it with half of the Chocolate Chip Frosting.
- Place another layer on top and spread the remaining Chocolate Chip Frosting on it. Cover with the third layer.
- Frost the cake all around with the Cream Cheese Frosting. Decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate for 4-8 hours before serving.