Raw desserts are my recent passion. They are normally full of seeds, nuts and fruits and don’t contain refined sugar. These are the desserts that are best served half frozen (or slightly defrosted) and that make you wonder why have you not realised earlier that heathy food can be so delicious… This Raw Sunflower Seed Cherry Cake is exactly that kind of cake!
I waited quite a long time before starting to experiment with healthy desserts but now I can’t stop. For many months I was just checking recipes around the web, studying combinations of healthy ingredients and imagining what I could prepare. I probably knew deep inside that once started, this adventure wouldn’t stop easily, so I wanted to get knowledgeable first and make sure I come up with the best possible healthy desserts right away.
My experience in the healthy baking so far proved me that even food that is good for you can be tasty and can satisfy your cravings. It won’t be exaggerated to say that I am eating much less sugar when I have healthy desserts around me. But the issue with this type of desserts is that their ingredients are quite pricey so eating them every day might turn out pretty expensive. I am trying to use mainly budget-friendly ingredients, even though sometimes it is not that easy, especially with raw cakes. It is because they usually call for nuts and nut products which are normally expensive.
This Raw Sunflower Seed Cherry Cake is more budget-friendly than other similar cakes as it contains mostly sunflower seeds, dates, ground flax seeds and cherries. And if you decide to make it outside of the cherry season, consider using apricots, peaches or persimmons instead. You can also try with strawberries or raspberries, just consider that they will add some additional seeds to the mixture.
The raw cakes have their special charm: your main appliance for their preparation is the blender and instead of oven you use the freezer. And even though they taste differently than normal cakes, they are really good in their special way!
If you want to try a delicious raw cake full of different flavours, I recommend you to try this Raw Sunflower Seed Cherry Cake!
Raw Sunflower Seed Cherry Cake
For the crust:
- 40 g pistachios
- 50 g liquid honey
- 30 g coconut oil, melted
- 20 g ground flax seeds
For the sunflower-cherry layer:
- 160 g soft medjool dates, pitted
- 120 g sunflower seeds, soaked for 4 hours or overnight and drained
- 160 g cherries, pitted
For the banana-cherry layer:
- 1 medium banana
- 150 g cherries, pitted
- 20 g ground flax seed
- 20 g coconut oil, melted
- Line a 17 cm (7 inch) spring form pan with a circle of baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor or blender. Process at a high speed, until a sticky and almost smooth ball is formed inside the blender.
- Press the mixture on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place the pan in the freezer.
- Process the sunflower seeds in a food processor or blender. When they become almost smooth add the dates and process until homogeneous. Add cherries and process until almost smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan, on top of the crust. Place in the freezer.
- In a food processor process banana and cherries until almost smooth. Add coconut oil and ground flax seeds and process until the mixture thickens a bit.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared pan. Freeze for 6-7 hours or overnight.
- Once frozen, decorate with fresh cherries. Before slicing and serving leave the cake for 10 minutes at room temperature.