This delicious Loaf Cake with Dried Apricots and Date Frosting is the ultimate dessert for a cozy afternoon! If you love apricots this could become your new favourite easy cake recipe.
I had a craving recently (normally that’s how majority of my recipes are created). It was related to dried apricots which recently have started becoming my new obsession. You might remember that in the past I made several experiments with them: the incredibly delicious and full of flavours Lemon Pistachio Cake with Apricot Frosting and also the tasty and very easy Soft Apricot White Chocolate Cookies which I baked recently. But this time I needed a different type of cake, a cake that would be quick enough not to require half day in the kitchen and at the same time to be fluffy, tasty and satisfying.
I decided to try a combination of rye and coconut flour. This made the texture softer and gave a very nice particular flavour to the cake. Rye flower contains less gluten than wheat flour and coconut flour is gluten free. For that reason this Loaf Cake with Dried Apricots might seem soft and fragile but its texture is a real pleasure for the palate. In fact its taste is also unique as it combines the wonderful flavours of both rye and coconut. The dried apricots, on the other hand, make this cake even more unforgettable!
And as if all that deliciousness was not enough, I decided to add a final touch to this fantastic cake: to top it with a date frosting! It turned out as a really wonderful finish with a caramel-like taste. A real indulgence in every bite!
Dates and apricots are a great flavour combination: I realised this after making the Sugar Free Date Apricot Muffins and probably subconsciously I wanted to try this combo in a different format.
The Loaf Cake with Dried Apricots and Date Frosting was not just successful – it was a hit! My son didn’t even want to wait for me to take photos and managed to steel a slice from my photography scene (doesn’t happen for the first time :))
Loaf Cake with Dried Apricots and Date Frosting
For the cake:
- 120 g dried apricots chopped
- 2 eggs
- 35 g coconut flour
- 15 g cornstarch
- 60 g rye flour
- 80 g brown sugar
- 60 g white sugar
- 50 ml olive oil
- 100 g full fat plain yogurt
- 1,5 teaspoon baking powder
- zest of 1 untreated orange or vanilla extract
For the frosting:
- 20 dates pitted
- 100-120 ml hot water about 1/2 cup
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Grease a 1l loaf tin and line it with a sheet of baking paper.
- In a bowl combine coconut flour, rye flour, baking powder and cornstarch. Stir and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat eggs and the two kinds of sugar until the mixture increases its volume significantly. Add olive oil, yogurt and orange zest (or vanilla extract) and beat shortly at a lower speed, until absorbed.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing gently with a rubber spatula. At the end gently fold in the chopped apricots.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let cool for 20-30 minutes before frosting and serving it.
- In a food processor puree the dates, adding gradually some of the water, until almost smooth. Frost the top of the cake with the date frosting.