Soft and chewy, these Orange Chocolate Cookies with Sprinkles are going to impress you. They are not only easy to make but with their simple and pretty decoration they are a fabulous dessert for any occasion!
This is the time of the year when everyone starts looking for cookie recipes. For me it is the time of the year when I feel the urge to experiment baking new cookies. The current recipe is a new version of the classic “Chocolate Chip Cookie” but it has few tweaks which make it very special. In fact these cookies are not really ordinary, as you will find out soon.
Firstly these are not Chocolate Chip Cookies, they are rather Chocolate CHUNK Cookies. I used chocolate broken into pieces which creates a slightly different effect. When you break the chocolate it turns into chunks but it also creates small shaves. These little pieces are later mixed within the dough in a way that enhance the chocolate taste even more. Of course, if you prefer the classic chocolate chips, you can use them too but I encourage you to try this method as well.
Secondly, we are talking here about double chocolate cookies: once we have the chunks inside the dough and then we have the chocolate glaze. The decoration is a very important moment as it enhances the chocolate taste and also makes the cookies prettier, obviously… I used sugar sprinkles for decoration but if you are a chocoholic, you can use chocolate sprinkles too!
Ok, maybe I should also say something about the orange taste (apart from the evident fact that orange and chocolate are a classic tasty combination). If you use fresh orange zest, make sure it is from organic oranges which peel has not been treated with chemicals. Another option is to buy orange zest in a package, which I often do because it is the easier option than finding untreated citrus fruits.
Last but not least… have you ever seen the cookie monster in person? I saw it in my own kitchen and even took few photos of him stealing my cookies because I knew you wouldn’t believe me 🙂
I am sure he would visit you as well if you bake these cookies, so be careful!
Orange Chocolate Cookies with Sprinkles
For the Cookies:
For the decoration:
- 100 dark chocolate
- 2 teaspoons water
- sugar sprinkles
- In a bowl combine flour, corn starch, baking powder and salt and stir to blend.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces using a sharp knife.
- Melt butter on double boiler (in a heatproof bowl placed over a pan of gently simmering water) and then transfer it to a large mixing bowl. Add the two kinds of sugar and stir with a whisk for 1-2 minutes. Add orange zest and juice, egg and yolk and stir again until the mixture becomes homogeneous.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing gently with a wooden spoon, until a soft dough is formed.
- Refrigerate the dough for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Make small balls out of the dough and place them on a baking tin, lined with parchment paper, not too close one next to another. Bake on the top rack of the oven for 10-12 minutes or until the cookies start browning around the edges. Let them cool until room temperature before decorating them.
- Melt the chocolate on double boiler together with 2 tbs water.
- Gently dip the cookies into the melted chocolate, so that it covers just half of each cookie and only on the top side. Generously sprinkle with the sugar sprinkles on top. Arrange the cookies in a plate to dry out.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container for at least 1 week.