There are countless apple dessert recipes in the world: pies, tarts, crisps and many more. But sometimes you just want to try something new. I decided to experiment a bit and made this wonderful Sour Cream Apple Crumb Cake – moist bottom, tasty creamy filling and crumble top. It is easy and surely very delicious!
This recipe was inspired by these Sour Cream Apple Bars. I liked the idea for the sour cream and apples filling but didn’t want to use oats. I also changed some of the remaining ingredients and created quite a different version.
What ingredients do you need
You need flour, butter, oil (I use olive oil), one egg, apples, ground walnuts, sour cream, baking powder, spices and brown sugar. The brown cane sugar can be substituted by maple syrup or coconut sugar if you want to be healthier.
But I want to discuss here the flour. Initially I made the cake with einkorn flour for the bottom layer and buckwheat and einkorn flour for the crumbs. I considered the taste quite strong, though. For that reason I updated the recipe by mixing einkorn with all purpose wheat flour and skipping the buckwheat. If you have experience with einkorn and buckwheat and you like them, feel free to use them alone for that recipe. You could also use spelt flour which is my personal favourite for any kind of baked goods.
How is this cake made
First you need to prepare the bottom layer and bake it. That is necessary because the filling is very moist and it will soak the bottom layer completely. The second stage is to spread the filling and to cover it with the crumb layer. The final baking needs a bit of care and vigilance to avoid the bottom part from burning, therefore at some point you need to switch to top baking only.
Is this apple cake healthy
This apple cake is full of nutrients due to the good ingredients that it contains. If you want to make it even healthier, skip the brown cane sugar and use healthier sweeteners like maple syrup or coconut sugar.
Can you freeze this dessert
This cake can be frozen as long as it is in airtight container or tightly covered with cling film. You can store it in the freezer for up to 3 months.
Looking for more recipes with apples? Check out my selection below:
I would be very glad if you share your opinion of this cake in the comments below!
Sour Cream Apple Crumb Cake
For the batter:
- 1/4 cup butter, 60 g
- 2 tbs vegetable oil, 30 ml (I use olive oil)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, 150 g
- 3/4 cup all purpose flour, 90 g
- 1 1/3 cup einkorn flour, 160 g
- 3/4 cup ground walnuts, 100 g
- 1 egg
- 1,5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/3 teaspoon ground nutmeg
For the filling:
- 2-3 medium apples, peeled, cored and grinned
- 1 cup sour cream, 250 g
- 2 tbs maple syrup or honey
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (180 degrees C). Grease very well the bottom of a small rectangular pan (1,5 l capacity).
- In a bowl combine all purpose flour, 1/2 cup einkorn flour and baking powder. Mix to blend.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine butter and brown sugar. Mix until the butter is melted. Transfer the mixture to a large mixing bowl and add gradualy oil, egg, nutmeg, cinnamon and vanilla. Whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold the ground walnuts and dry ingredients into the mixture.
- Transfer about 2/3 of the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth it out with the spatula. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- In the meantime add the rest of the einkorn flour to the batter to make a dough. If necessary, use a bit more all purpose flour as well.
- Prepare the filling (see below) and spread it over the baked layer. Make the dough into crumbs and cover the filling with them. Bake for another 15 minutes and then switch the oven to top baking only, until the crumbs become golden brown.
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients and mix very well.
- Initially the recipe was made with einkorn flour only and some buckwheat flour for the crumbs. I updated it as I found the taste of the cake a bit strong. If you like the strong flour taste, feel free to skip the all purpose flour and to use only einkorn flour (about 2 cups + 1 tbs).
- The recipe was inspired by Land O Lakes