Who said that homemade bread has to be time consuming and hard to prepare? These Fluffy Einkorn Dinner Rolls are quick and easy. They are made with baking soda instead of yeast and don’t require much kneading. The perfect quick breads for breakfast or dinner.
What are these dinner rolls made of
These wonderful fluffy rolls are made of all purpose flour and einkorn flour. They are made with no yeast and take about 40 minutes to make from scratch! The reason why they are so quick is due to the baking soda used as a levener. In order to activate it I added also yogurt. This is the Bulgarian way of making no yeast bread as yogurt is a big part of our food tradition. The dough needs also some fat: in this case I used olive oil, being my personal favourite oil for cooking and baking. I use it even for desserts, as you might have noticed. Olive oil is one of the healthiest fats in the world and there have been plenty of researches proving that it is perfectly suitable for cooking. Of course you can also use other vegetable oil.
How to make dinner rolls without yeast
It’s easy: first you need to mix the soda with the yogurt and leave the mixture for few minutes so that it becomes bubbly. Then mix all ingredients with an electric mixer or with a wooden spoon until a soft dough form. Knead it for about 5 minutes and shape the rolls. Arrange them on a large tin covered with a sheet of parchment paper and bake until golden brown. That’s all: no waiting time, no fuss, ready in 40 minutes.
How to serve these Einkorn Soda Breads
These wonderful rolls can be used also as hamburger buns. Just cut them in half and make a rustic sandwich. They are also great to serve with any lunch or dinner: soups, salads and main courses. Last but not least you can just eat them with some butter – the perfect easy breakfast.
No matter how you decide to eat these delicious no yeast bread rolls, you will certainly enjoy them a lot. I would be really glad to receive your feedback about the recipe in the comments!
And if you want to check other delicious bread recipes, I have prepared a selection for you:
Fluffy Einkorn Dinner Rolls - no yeast
- 2 1/4 cups / 300 g all purpose flour
- 1 cups / 150 g einkorn flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 7/8 cup / 200 g yogurt
- 3 tbs olive oil
- 1/3 cup / 100 ml water
- 1,5 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees C. Line a large baking tin with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a mug or a small bowl combine yogurt and baking soda. Set aside for few minutes. The mixture will form bubbles and will increase its volume.
- In a large mixing bowl (you can use the one of a stand mixer) combine all ingredients, except the water. Mix with the dough attachment of the mixer at a low speed. When the ingredients get combined into a dough, gradually add the water. Keep kneading with the mixer for about 5 minutes.
- When the water is absorbed and the dough is not very sticky any more, divide it into 6 parts. Shape them into balls with floured hands. They don’t need to be very even or pretty. Arrange them on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for about 20 minutes or until the rolls become golden on top.
- Instead of einkorn flour you can use spelt flour or just increase the quantity of all purpose flour.
- If you don’t have a mixer, use a wooden spoon to mix the ingredients into a dough and then knead it by hand.
- These dinner rolls will stay fresh for 2-3 days in airtight container. You can also freeze them for up to 3 months.