Imagine a dessert that has the texture and feel of brownie but tastes like lemons! Sounds intriguing, right? These Lemony Lemon Brownies are something really great! They are flavourful, rich and melt in your mouth!
What kind of desert is that
These “brownies” are similar to cake, but not exactly. They are buttery, slightly chewy, just like the real brownies. But they don’t taste like chocolate as they are not made with chocolate, neither cocoa. They contain eggs, butter, sugar, little flour and lots of lemon zest to create intense citrus flavour. For even more fantastic taste, they are glazed with white chocolate and lemon glaze, which makes them Double Lemon Brownies or real Lemony Lemon Brownies.
How do you make these “brownies”
This dessert is incredibly quick and easy. You will literally make it from scratch in less than an hour. Also it is a one bowl dessert: all ingredients are mixed in the same bowl just for a short time and then transferred to a greased pan. Baking is super quick and easy and so is the preparation of the glaze. While the brownies are in the oven, you can use the time to melt the chocolate and mix it with lemon juice to create the tastiest lemony glaze ever! Then once the brownies are out of the oven, just wait few minutes for them to cool down and spread the glaze on top.
These brownies can be served after a meal or as an afternoon snack. They go perfectly together with some coffee, tea or Iced Tea. I even had them for breakfast (not necessarily the best option but sometimes everyone likes to indulge). This is the perfect easy dessert that requires very little time and almost no efforts. These brownies are better than cake and even a complete novice can make them!
Interested to see more recipes with lemon flavour? Check the selection below:
And if you liked this recipe, please share the link in social media, so more people can benefit from it! I would also love to receive your feedback about these brownies, especially if you made them!
Lemony Lemon Brownies
For the brownies:
- ½ cup / 100 g butter, soft
- ¾ cup / 150 g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1cup / 130 g flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- zest from 1 untreated lemon
For the glaze:
- 3,5oz/ 100 g white chocolate, melted
- juice from 1 lemon
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F/ 180 degrees C. Grease very well a 9 x 7 inch/ 23 x 20 cm baking dish or similar.
- In a large bowl beat together butter and sugar with an electric mixer for about 1 minute. Add eggs and beat very well until smooth. Add lemon zest and beat until just absorbed. Using a rubber spatula gradually fold the flour into the mixture.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool for 5 minutes and spread the glaze on top. Serve after it cools down for another 15 minutes.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave at the lowest power.
- Pass the lemon juice through a fine sieve and then mix it with the chocolate until smooth.
- Distribute the glaze evenly with a spatula.
- I normally use store bough dried lemon zest. In this case you can use about 1-2 teaspoons. For even more intensive lemon taste you can add also some lemon extract to the brownie batter.
- Store the leftover lemon brownies in airtight container in the fridge or covered with plastic wrap.
- The recipe was inspired by Food.com