Pumpkin Soup can be very delicious and is so easy to make! In this post I will present you one of the best comfort food recipes that you can make during the chilly autumn and winter days.
Read on to find out how to make your days cosier with delicious soup!
What ingredients you need for this recipe
Practically this is a pumpkin and potato soup: a combination I find much tastier than if using just pumpkin or squash. Pumpkin is pretty sweet so the potatoes help maintain the taste more neutral. The cooking cream, on the other hand, contributes with additional mild taste and milky texture. To make this whole combination even tastier, you need also onion and some chicken broth. The spices are very important too: apart from the sage, some crushed spicy pepper or paprika and ground pumpkin seeds will make the taste of the soup even more pleasant and unique!
How to make the soup
First you need to cook the vegetables together with the broth. Then add the cooking cream and bring to boil again. Process the vegetables with a blender or a food processor and top with the roasted pumpkin cubes and with the spices: that’s pretty much all!
How to roast the pumpkin cubes
Roasting the pumpkin chunks in the oven is very easy. First you need to dice finely a piece of pumpkin. Mix the cubes with olive oil and sage and spread them on a pan, lined with parchment paper. Don’t forget to mix them from time to time while baking, to ensure that they bake evenly. They are ready when they get a nice crust on top.
Find the detailed instructions and the ingredient quantities below the post, in the recipe card.
Is this soup healthy
The vegetables in this soup are all full of healthy nutrients. As long as you choose high quality cooking cream and chicken broth, this soup will be very beneficial for your health.
If you never tried pumpkin soup, this one is a great choice for your first try! Its taste is really nice, not overwhelming at all so even people that are not much into pumpkin would like it.
If you made the soup, I would be very happy if you share with me how it went! Don’t hesitate to write in the comments or to tag me in Social media!
Below are few more pumpkin recipes that you might enjoy:
- Pumpkin Risotto with Sage
- Pumpkin, Ricota and Quinoa Muffins
- Pumpkin Zucchini and Potato Gratin
- Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
Pumpkin Soup with Sage
For the soup:
- 8.8 oz/ 250 g pumpkin
- 2 medium potatoes
- 1 onion
- 2-3 sage leaves
- 1 cube beef or chicken broth
- 7/8 cup / 200 ml cooking cream
- salt to taste
- 4 cups/ 1 l water
For the pumpkin cubes:
- 7 oz/ 200 g pumpkin
- 3-4 sage leaves, chopped
- 2 tbsp olive oil
To garnish (optional):
- crushed spicy pepper
- ground pumpkin seeds
- Peel the vegetables and roughly chop them. Place them in a pot and fill with the water just to cover them. Add also the bouillon cube and sage leaves.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring to boil. Lower the heat and cook, covered with a lid until all the vegetables are soft when touched with a fork.
- Add the cream and bring to boil again, just for few seconds. Remove the pot from heat.
- Let the vegetables cool for few minutes and then puree them with a blender or in a food processor.
- Serve the soup with pumpkin cubes. Optionally sprinkle with ground pumpkin seeds and with crushed spicy pepper.
- While the vegetables are cooking, peel and dice the pumpkin. Spread the cubes on a tin, lined with parchment paper. Sprinkle the sage leaves and the olive oil. Mix with a spoon.
- Bake for about 30 minutes at 400ºF /200ºC, until the pumpkin gets a nice crust on top. Every 10 minutes remove the tin from the oven and stir.