Have you thought that Vegan Hot Chocolate can be so good? Indeed, you don’t need dairy to make this tasty and cozy treat. The current recipe is not only delicious and very easy to make, it is also healthier and incredibly rich in cocoa! Here is the Perfect Vegan Hot Chocolate that even non vegans would love!
Why is this recipe good
The Perfect Vegan Hot Chocolate is delicious and thick. It also has a very rich chocolate taste, thanks to the combination of cocoa powder and chocolate. Due to its richness it is perfectly tasty even though it contains no dairy. Last but not least, it is healthier than most hot chocolate drinks out there, especially if made with high quality sugar-free chocolate chips.
What ingredients you need
- To make this recipe you would need high quality cocoa powder and chocolate chips or chocolate block. These are the most important ingredients, having in mind that they create the taste of the drink. I used vegan chocolate chips with coconut milk, sweetened with coconut sugar. If you can’t find such, you can choose any high quality sugar-free vegan chocolate or alternatively with minimum sugar content.
- You would also need vegan milk: coconut, oat milk or rice milk are great options.
- To make your hot chocolate scrumptiously thick, you would need also starch: tapioca or potato starches are perfect choices.
- Last but not least, a bit of cinnamon will enhance the taste of this drink immensely.
- I use coconut sugar to sweeten this chocolate but maple syrup could be a good choice too.
- Of course, if you don’t want your drink to be vegan, feel free to use dairy milk and any kind of good milk chocolate you have.
Is this recipe easy
Absolutely! First you need to dissolve all the dry ingredients in a small part of the vegan milk, while heating the rest of it. When the milk starts simmering, you add the mixture inside and whisk very well. Make sure the milk has been removed from the heat as otherwise the starch might form lumps. When the dry ingredients are dissolved, return the milk to the heat and whisk until you see that the chocolate thickens. Now it is time to pour it into two cups and add the chocolate inside.
You will find the detailed steps and the complete list of ingredients below the post, in the recipe card.
I am so in love with this recipe as it recreates my favourite Italian-style hot chocolate in a healthier way and with no dairy ingredients! It is totally worth trying it.
And if you want to enjoy your chocolate with some cookies, here are few recipes that would complement it perfectly:
Perfect Vegan Hot Chocolate
- In a small bowl combine 1/3 cup milk with tapioca starch, coconut sugar, cocoa powder and spices. Mix until smooth.
- Heat the rest of the milk in a small saucepan. When it starts simmering, remove the pan and add the mixture. Whisk very well and return to the stove. Lower the heat and keep whisking quickly until it starts thickening. Remove the pan from the heat and add the chocolate chips inside. Mix to dissolve the chocolate and pour the beverage in two mugs. Serve with more chocolate chips on top.