If you love cinnamon rolls and layer cakes, you are in the right place! This Cinnamon Roll Cake is a tasty and pretty combination between the two!
What is special about this recipe
This cake is made of sponge base rolled up with cinnamon frosting and covered with vanilla cream cheese frosting. It is pure deliciousness in every bite! It is also easy and relatively quick to make, if you follow the recipe steps!
What ingredients you need
You need only common ingredients for this recipe. Below is a short list and you will find the exact quantities in the recipe card.
The sponge base is made of eggs, all-purpose flour, cornstarch, brown sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. The brown sugar and the cinnamon create a nice brownish shade, like a real cinnamon roll.
For the frostings you need cream cheese, butter, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, coconut sugar and cinnamon.
The detailed instructions are below the post. Here you can find a short summary of the most important steps.
First you need to bake the sponge base. Preparing it is simple: beat the eggs with the sugar and gradually add the dry ingredients.
After baking the base, you need to roll it up immediately together with the sheet of parchment paper underneath. That way you won’t risk breaking it as you roll it.
Prepare the cream cheese frosting and divide it in two parts. One you will mix with the coconut sugar and ground cinnamon in order to spread on the base.
The second part would remain white and would be used to frost the cake all around.
- This is a vertical layer cake and, trust me, it is much faster to prepare than a regular cake. The main reason is because the base is much quicker to bake and it also requires much less time to cool.
- The most important part of the vertical cake is to place the second sheet of base right next to the first one. You might be tempted to make both sheets overlap but this is not correct: placing the second one at the very end of the first one would ensure a perfect shape.
- Consider that this cake is very small: about 5-6 inches diameter. If you want to make a “normal” sized cake, you would need to double the ingredients and bake two bases.
This cake was a real hit in our house and it disappeared very quickly. I hope you would like it too! Let me know in the comments what you think about it!
Here are few cinnamon rolls and breads which you might like:
- Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls (no yeast)
- Cinnamon Christmas Bread Roll with Dried Fruits
- Cinnamon Walnut Star Bread
- Chocolate Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls with Sour Cream Glaze
Cinnamon Roll Cake
For the cake base:
- 4 eggs, separated
- ⅓ цуп/ + 1 tablespoon / 50 g all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoon/ 20 g cornstarch
- ¾ cup/ 150 g light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- Preheat oven to 350º F/180º C. Line a 10 x 13 inch / 25 x 33 cm or similar baking tin with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a bowl combine flour, starch, cinnamon and baking powder. Mix well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat the egg whites with an electric mixer at a high speed, until thick and foamy: 2-3 minutes
- In another bowl beat egg yolks with the sugar and vanilla until pale and thick.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients to the yolk mixture, folding them gently with a rubber spatula. At the end fold also the egg whites into the mixture.
- Spread the batter on the prepared sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean and cake is lightly golden on top.
- Place the cake together with the sheet on a clean kitchen towel. Roll it up with the towel and let cool, until preparing the frostings.
- In a large mixing bowl cream butter and powdered sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla and cream cheese and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Divide the frosting into two more or less equal parts.
- Add the coconut sugar and the ground cinnamon to one half. Mix very well to combine.
- Unroll the cake base and carefully remove the paper to avoid breaking the cake.
- Cut the base into two equal strips, dividing them through their shorter side.
- Spread the cinnamon frosting on the strips. You can reserve 2-3 tablespoon for decoration.
- Start rolling up one strip on its longer side. When you come to the end, place the second strip next to the first one, without them overlapping. Continue rolling up until you create a roll.
- Invert the cake on a plate. Make sure it is straight and even on the sides and then wrap it up with cling film. Let it cool in the fridge for 1-2 hours. If you are in a rush, place it in the freezer for about 30 minutes so that it holds shape.
- Frost the cake on top with the cream cheese frosting. Decorate with the reserved cinnamon frosting or simply create swirl shape with a spoon on the top.
- Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before serving.
- Depending on which country you live in, there are different standard sizes of baking sheets. In US you can use 10 x 13 inch tin but in Europe you can use 30 x 35 cm or similar size.
- This is a small cake: 5-6 inches/ 13-16 cm. For a “normal” sized cake double the ingredients and bake two cake layers to make 4 strips.
- Store the cake 2-3 days in the fridge.
- Inspired by Tastemade