This Easy Strawberry cake is naturally moist, fluffy and delicious. It is perfect for all types of celebrations and home birthday parties. With the step-by-step recipe below you can make it even if you are not experienced in baking!
Why make this recipe
Do you want to prepare a delicious and elegant cake even though you are not a confident baker? Or you don’t have too much time for elaborate baking? This Easy Strawberry cake is one of the simplest and yet delicious recipes to bake at home! The below recipe and tips will help you accomplish a great result.
What ingredients you need
To make this cake you need mostly simple ingredients. Here is a short list to give you an idea. The complete ingredient list with quantities is below the post, in the recipe card!
- sour cream
- caster sugar
- all purpose flour
- baking powder
- cream cheese
- white chocolate
- whipping cream
How to make the layers
Before baking the cake base, you would need to make a strawberry puree. Cook the strawberries in a saucepan for 15-20 minutes. Let them cool and process in a blender. You will use this puree for the cake layers.
To make the base, you need to combine first the dry ingredients and then add the wet ones. No mixer required: you only need a whisk.
Bake the cake in two 7 inch/ 18 cm pans. When they are cold, cut each into two layers.
How to make the frosting
Making the frosting is a bit more challenging but if you follow the right steps, it will come out fluffy and smooth. The goal is to prevent the chocolate from hardening quickly and creating lumps.
First beat together the cold cream and the cream cheese until thick. Let them stay at room temperature while melting the white chocolate on a double boiler.
When the chocolate is melted, keep stirring it for 5-10 minutes to cool down. It is important to minimise the temperature difference between the cream cheese mixture and the chocolate, even though it is not possible to equalise it.
Take a small part of the frosting and add it to the chocolate (not the other way around). Mix quickly until combined. Continue the same process 2-3 more times.
At that point you can transfer the chocolate mixture to the frosting. Mix gently with the spatula until smooth.
You may find useful this article about working with chocolate: How to Work with Chocolate
The best decoration for this cake are the fresh strawberries. But if you don’t have them, there are other decoration options:
- candied strawberries
- piped frosting
- white chocolate shaves
Make ahead tips
- You can prepare the strawberry puree up to one week in advance and keep it in the fridge.
- Normally when I bake cake layers, I refrigerate them overnight and assemble them on the next day. This helps to cut them more evenly and without making too much crumbs.
- Alternatively you can also freeze the layers, very well wrapped in cling film. Keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.
I am sure you would love this cake if you make it! Please share in the comments how it went.
Here are few more strawberry recipes that you may like:
- Easy Strawberry Charlotte
- Easy Cherry Strawberry Layer Cake with Fondant Flowers
- Easy Neapolitan Ice Cream Cake
- No Bake Berry Ice Box Cake
Easy Strawberry Cake
For the cake base:
- 7.8 oz/ 220 g strawberries, fresh or frozen
- ¾ cup/ 180 g sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup/ 200 g caster sugar
- 2 cups/ 240 g all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Place the strawberries in a saucepan over medium heat. Stir occasionally until the mixture starts bubbling. Lower the heat and cook for 15-20 minutes, stirring from time to time to avoid burning. The mixture should thicken significantly.
- Remove from the heat and let cool. Puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Let the puree cool until room temperature before using it for the cake layers. You can also keep it in the fridge for up to a week.
- Preheat the oven to 180º C/ 350º F. Grease two 7 inch/ 18 cm baking pans and line them with circles of parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl combine all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Mix very well.
- Add the eggs and keep whisking. Add also the sour cream, vanilla and strawberry puree. Use a rubber spatula to mix gently the ingredients, until combined. Don’t overmix but make sure there are no dry ingredients accumulated on the bottom of the bowl.
- Divide the batter between the two pans. Bake for about 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centres comes out clean.
- Let the cake bases cool until room temperature, before assembling the cake. Alternatively refrigerate them overnight so it is easier to cut each one in two.
- In a large mixing bowl beat together the cream, the cream cheese (both cold) and vanilla until thick and fluffy. Let the mixture stay at room temperature while melting the chocolate.
- Chop or break the chocolate and put it in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pan with gently simmering water so the bowl doesn’t touch the water (double boiler).
- Mix the chocolate with dry spatula or spoon until melted completely (if 1-2 small pieces are remaining this is ok).
- Remove the bowl from the heat and keep stirring gently with the spatula 5-10 minutes so it cools down.
- Transfer about 1 tbsp of the cream cheese mixture to the melted chocolate. Whisk energetically to combine until smooth. Repeat 3-4 more times, until the resulting mixture is almost at room temperature.
- Gently fold the chocolate into the rest of the cream cheese with the rubber spatula. Mix gently, until the frosting becomes uniform.
- Using a long serrated knife divide the cake bases into two equal layers.
- Place one layer on a serving plate and spread generously frosting on top (a bit less than ¼ of it). Continue the process until using all layers.
- Frost the cake all around with the remaining frosting (about ⅓ of the whole).
- Refrigerate the cake for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries before serving. You can reserve 1-2 tbsp of the strawberry puree to make drips.
- Make sure that both the cream and the cream cheese are cold before whipping them together.
- You can use cake ring when assembling the cake so it looks more even.
- If you want to pipe on top of the cake, you need some extra frosting: increase the ingredients with about 30%. Refrigerate the frosting for 30-60 min before piping.
- Keep leftovers 3-4 days covered in the fridge.