Tasty fruit dessert from scratch in less than one hour? This scrumptious healthy Peach Dump Cake is the ultimate summer dessert which you can prepare without much efforts. Made with simple unrefined ingredients, this is the best treat when you are looking for more nutritious dessert options.
Are Dump cakes healthy
The usual dump cakes made with cake mix are far from healthy. They contain a lot of sugar and refined ingredients. But you can make a healthy dump cake from scratch! This recipe is very easy and perfectly tasty. The result is a delicious fruit dessert with a wonderful crust on top. This peach dump cake is ideal for the whole family and the best is that you can make it also with other fruits.
How do you make a dump cake from scratch
It is very easy. Instead of using a store-bought cake mix with highly processed content, you can make the mix by yourself, just in few minutes, using some excellent ingredients. It is quick and simple so it is definitely worth trying it. The rest of the recipe is exactly the same as all other dump cakes: simply layer the dried ingredients over the fruit, top with some butter and bake.
Probably the most important ingredient of every dump cake is the fruit as it brings most of the flavour. Ripe peaches are preferred as they are sweet and juicy. We also need flour: in this case spelt flour which is not only healthy but also has a nice taste. The addition of rolled oats makes this desert even crispier. As for the sweetener, instead of refined sugar this recipe calls for coconut sugar. Last but not least we need butter which creates a nice crust on top of the cake. There are also some additional ingredients like spices and baking powder. Check out the whole ingredient list with quantities below the post!
How to serve this dessert
There are different ways to serve a dump cake. You can eat it hot, with or without a scoop of ice cream on each plate. You can also refrigerate it and have it cold. Or you can also eat it warm or slightly reheated. No matter which way you choose, you will surely love a nice dump cake. It is definitely a dessert worth trying, as it is so quick and easy to make!
I hope you like this recipe. Let me know in the comments what you think about it! If you made it, please share how it went!
You might also like some of my other recipes with peaches:
Healthy Peach Dump Cake from scratch
For the peach mix:
- 4 medium peaches, peeled and diced (see notes)
- ¼ cup / 50 coconut sugar
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
For the homemade cake mix:
- ½ cup / 50 g rolled oats
- 1 ¼ cup / 150 g spelt flour, see notes
- ⅞ cup / 150 g coconut sugar, see notes
- 1,5 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup/ 75 g butter, cold
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 180 degrees C.
- In a bowl combine all ingredients and mix very well. Set aside.
Homemade cake mix:
- In another bowl combine rolled oats, spelt flour, coconut sugar, cinnamon and baking powder. Stir until blended.
- Grease a small rectangular baking pan (about 9 x 7 inch/ 23 x 20 cm or similar). Transfer the peach mixture to the pan, together with any liquid from the bowl. Distribute evenly the peaches around the bottom of the pan.
- Add the homemade cake mix on top. Use a spoon to spread it evenly around the whole pan and to cover well the peaches.
- Slice the butter thinly and arrange the slices on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown. Make sure the butter is melted evenly all around the cake and there are no dry parts. You need to watch the cake carefully and if needed take it out quickly when the butter melts and spread it around, to cover any spaces left dry.
- Serve hot, warm or cold, optionally with some ice cream on top.
- Try to choose ripe peaches for this recipe as they are sweeter and juicier. Nectarines are fine too. You can cut them in smaller or larger pieces, depending on how you like them.
- You can use whole grain or white spelt flour for this recipe or you can make a mix between the two.
- If you don’t have coconut sugar, brown sugar can be used as well.
You can make this cake with almost any kind of fruit. Just make sure you adjust the sugar accordingly considering the fruit sweetness.