Delicious cake with pumpkin layers and mascarpone frosting? You too can make this wonderful and pretty dessert for your birthday party or special occasion! This cake is the ultimate fall celebration dessert.
What kind of cake is this
We all love pumpkin pie and pumpkin cheesecake but how about a layer cake with pumpkin? This delicious cake has pumpkin puree in the layers and also in the frosting. It is very moist, tasty and rich and has a delicious pumpkin spice flavour. The mascarpone frosting is the ultimate delicious addition to this cake.
How did I come up with this recipe
Last year at around this time I made my miracle Pumpkin Tiramisu and I was simply amazed by its taste. As the pumpkin season approached this year, I decided to go one step forward and to prepare a luscious six layer pumpkin cake with pumpkin mascarpone frosting. Of course, the decoration of this cake also had to be appropriate so I made several little marzipan pumpkins. And believe me, pumpkins are one of the easiest figures you can make out of marzipan! If you are still suspicious, check below the photos with instructions how to make the same ones on your own.
Why is this recipe so good
The special thing about this cake is that it is very moist and full of flavours. I added a little bit of pumpkin spices to the batter but I didn’t miss the vanilla. In addition the rum extract in the frosting is bringing a great finish. All the flavours are combined in a wonderful way, making this cake a real pleasure for the palate!
It is very important that you don’t miss any of the spices as this will certainly make the cake slightly less flavourful. If you don’t have rum extract and the cake is not going to be consumed by kids, you can enhance its flavour with real rum instead.
One thing about the decoration: don’t place fondant figures on that frosting! This is a very important point to keep in mind and here is the reason why: fondant is made almost completely out of sugar and we all know that sugar melts in water. That’s why we use fondant only on top of buttercream frosting or chocolate ganache, as they are greasy enough to isolate the moisture. On the other hand marzipan contains almond flour so it is in fact a solid product, therefore a bit of moisture will not melt it. In my case I left the cake in the fridge together with the decoration for several days. The little pumpkins became kind of wet on top due to the moisture in the fridge but didn’t melt and the food colouring did not dissolve around.
Make your autumn celebration a great success with this luscious Pumpkin Layer Cake with Mascarpone Frosting! And if you don’t have a reason to celebrate, here is one: you probably never made such a beautiful pumpkin cake before! And don’t forget to share with me your experience from the recipe. I am always happy to hear from you 🙂
Pumpkin Layer Cake with Mascarpone Frosting
For the cake:
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup/ 150 g sugar
- ¾ cup / 150 g brown sugar
- 2 ½ cups 300 g self raising flour, (see notes)
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup/ 250 g pumpkin puree
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅓ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ cup / 120 ml sunflower oil
For the frosting:
- 2 cups/ 500 g mascarpone cheese, 17,6 oz package
- 1 cup/ 115 g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons rum extract
- ½ cup/ 120 g pumpkin puree
- ⅞ cup/ 200 ml whipping cream, cold
For the decoration:
- 7 oz/ 200 g marzipan
- orange and green food colouring
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line the bottoms of two 18 -20-cm (8-inch) cake pans with circles of baking paper and then grease them well.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and the two kinds of sugar at high speed for about 10 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Add oil and beat for 2 more minutes. Add pumpkin puree and vanilla and beat shortly, until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula fold the dry ingredients into the mixture. Continue mixing gently until all the flour is absorbed
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 10 minutes in the pans before removing them. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. When the cakes reach room temperature, refrigerate for few hours before cutting them.
- In a large bowl beat together mascarpone, powdered sugar, rum extract and pumpkin puree until all ingredients are well combined and the mixture becomes creamy.
- In a separate bowl whip the cold cream until very thick.
- With a rubber spatula carefully add the whipped cream to the mascarpone mixture. Fold gently until the two are combined.
To assemble and decorate:
- With a long serrated knife cut horizontally each cake into 3 equal layers. Place one layer on a cake stand or on a serving plate and cover with some mascarpone frosting. Place another layer on top.
- Continue the process until finishing all the layers. Cover the cake all around and on top with the rest of the mascarpone frosting.
- Decorate with marzipan pumpkins - see photos below for instructions how to make them.