Poke cake is a favourite dessert of kids and adults! It is great because it is easy and nicely moistened with delicious filling. In this post you will find the ultimate Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake, made the easy way from scratch and with simple ingredients. You will never make a boxed mix again with this recipe!
Why make a Poke Cake from Scratch
We all love poke cakes not only because they are tasty but also because they are easy.
But making a cake from a boxed mix is not necessarily the best solution for your family. Preparing a cake from scratch is always preferable, not only because it is healthier but also you can adjust some of the ingredients, like sugar, according to your taste.
The best thing about poke cakes is that they are filled with tasty filling that moistens the whole cake. In fact Poke Cakes were invented by the the Jell-O brand in order to use their products in a dessert. This recipe goes beyond the Jell-O and soaks the poke cake with homemade cheesecake filling. Using natural ingredients can be so much fun and can produce unexpectedly great results! In the recipe notes below you will find a healthy Poke Cake version, with unrefined ingredients and good oils.
How to make this cake
It is really easy! First you need to bake the cake base by beating the eggs and the sugar with a mixer. Then add oil, flour with baking powder and milk.
After you bake the base, you need to leave it to cool for about an hour and then make the cheesecake filling. You have to cook the strawberries and then mix all filling ingredients in a blender until smooth. Poke wholes on top of the cake with a wooden spoon and pour the filling over. Then refrigerate the cake. Before serving spread whipped cream on top and decorate with fresh strawberries.
In the printable recipe below you will find all ingredient quantities and detailed step-by-step instructions.
This is a great Birthday Cake option when you don’t have much time and experience to make layer cakes. It is very decadent and nicely moistened with the filling, which makes it perfect also for any kind of celebrations. It would go really well with Raspberry Lemonade or with a nice Homemade Iced Tea. Certainly one of the best and easiest cakes that you can make from scratch! It is ideal in the spring and summer but you can make it all year round with frozen strawberries.
If you liked this cake, please share the link with your friends and family! And if you made it, don’t hesitate to let me know how it went!
Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake from Scratch
- Electric mixer
- Food Processor
For the cake base:
- 1 ½ cups / 180 g all purpose flour
- ¾ cup/ 150 g sugar
- 3 tbs/ / 40 ml vegetable oil
- ¼ cup/ 100 ml milk
- 1,5 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
For the filling:
- 5 oz/ 150 g strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 7 oz / / 200 g cream cheese
- ⅓ cup / 120 ml milk
- 3 tbs sugar
For the topping:
- 1 tbs powdered sugar
- ⅞ cup/ 200 ml heavy cream, cold
- fresh strawberries for decoration
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F/ 180 degrees C. Grease very well the bottom of a rectangular cake pan (9 x 9 inches or similar).
- In a small bowl combine flour and baking powder. Stir well and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar with the mixer at high speed for 3-4 minutes, until the mixture increases its volume significantly. Add oil and vanilla and beat for few seconds, until combined.
- Using a rubber spatula, gently fold the dry ingredients into the mixture. Alternate with the milk. Mix carefully, until all the flour is absorbed.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake base cool for one hour at room temperature.
- Roughly chop the strawberries if they are fresh. If frozen, don’t thaw them, you can just use them as they are.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine the strawberries with the sugar. Stir from time to time, until the mixture starts simmering. Lower the heat and cook for 5 minutes, until the strawberries become soft.
- Remove the mixture from the stove and let cool for 5 minutes. Add the milk and stir. Transfer to a blender (or to a bowl if you are going to use a hand blender) and add the cream cheese. Blend for 1-2 minutes until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon poke deep holes on the cake. Spread the filling on top, making sure it fills all the holes. Refrigerate for 4-6 hours or overnight.
- Before serving top with whipped cream topping and decorate with fresh strawberries or other berries.
- In a large mixing bowl with an electric mixer whip the cold cream and the powdered sugar for 5 minutes at high speed, until the mixture becomes thick and fluffy.
- It’s ok to use brown or white sugar, as per your preference. If you want to make the cake healthier, you can use coconut sugar, olive or avocado oil and substitute half of the all purpose flour with whole grain spelt flour.
- Keep the leftovers in the fridge for 3-4 days.
- This cake is not freezer friendly when filled and topped. However you can freeze only the cake base after it has cooled to room temperature.