Nice and refreshing, this Sugar Free Raspberry Orange Lemonade is a perfect summer treat. In fact you can make it at almost at any time of the year as it doesn’t require fresh raspberries – frozen are good enough. But during the summer when lemonade seems to be the best drink on earth, this recipe will bring you joy and will refresh you in the hot days! And being sugar free means it is also healthy!
Why raspberry lemonade
My biggest summer addiction is drinking lemonade: the one with real, freshly squeezed fruit juice. I just can’t stop myself! Since I almost gave up soda (I used to drink a lot of diet coke but I managed to limit it to one can every few months), lemonade is my guilty pleasure in the hot days. Guilty because it usually contains sugar.
As you might have noticed, I am quite obsessed with raspberries. You can find so many raspberry recipes in this blog. If you love them as much as I do, check out the Double Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce or the Four-layer Raspberry Chocolate Cake.
Not surprisingly I decided to make also a raspberry lemonade. I wanted it to be sugar free so that I could drink it guilt free.
Why adding orange juice to that lemonade
I started thinking about the recipe: what do you need for a raspberry lemonade? Raspberries + lemons. And how about oranges? Why not!
The orange juice adds additional citrus flavour which is sweeter than the lemon one. The whole combination is quite interesting, sweet and sour. But in case you are not a fan of oranges in your lemonade, you can skip them. Just increase accordingly the lemon juice and the sweetener.
What is the best sweetener for sugar free lemonade
The most difficult part was to choose the sweetener. The logical options for me were honey or stevia: both natural ingredients. And while honey is still adding calories to the drink, stevia is a natural low energy sweetener.
I tried the lemonade with both of them and I can’t say which one is better. That’s why I am listing the two options in the recipe. Some people don’t like stevia at all as according to them it changes the taste of the drinks. If this is your opinion too, just use honey: it really gives a nice tasty touch to all the fruits.
You can even try the lemonade with xylitol or erythritol which don’t have any taste and are still natural sweeteners.
Is the raspberry lemonade keto friendly
You can make this lemonade keto friendly by skipping the orange juice and using keto sweetener (stevia, xylitol or erythritol). I advise you to add sweetener to taste, just a bit at a time, as not all lemons and raspberries have the same level of acidity.
No matter which sweetener you choose, one thing is certain: this Sugar free Raspberry Orange Lemonade is one of the tastiest and refreshing summer drinks that you can imagine and it is made in less than 30 minutes!
Sugar free Raspberry Orange Lemonade
- Food Processor
- In a medium saucepan combine raspberries and half of the water and warm them up over low heat. Mix continuously until the mixture just starts simmering.
- Remove from the stove and transfer to a food processor. Puree for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a pitcher to remove the seeds (optional).
- Add honey or stevia and stir continuously until dissolved.
- Pass the lemon and the orange juice through the sieve as well and add them to the raspberry mixture. Fill in the pitcher with the remaining water.
- Serve over ice.
- Be careful with the quantity of stevia powder if you are using it for first time. Different brands might have different concentration.
- You can use also xylitol or erythritol sweeteners: about 2-3 tbsp. or to taste. In this case add them together with the raspberries and the water in order to get dissolved.
- Want to make this lemonade keto friendly? Skip the orange juice and use stevia, xylitol or erythritol instead of honey.