Recently I have forgotten how much I love brownies! I think they are one of the most incredible food inventions ever and one of the greatest desserts for every chocolate lover!
Brownies are not exactly cakes, not even cookies. They are made mainly of chocolate, butter, eggs and cocoa, with little flour to enhance the texture. This makes them simply irresistible!
And considering that brownies by itself are such a great thing, imagine what happens when you add some cream cheese on top of their batter: pure delight! Of course, the cream cheese mixture is made separately and just scooped onto the brownie mixture before it is baked. The final result is a fantastic hybrid of brownie and cheesecake. Just thinking about it makes me really hungry!
I decided to make a step forward even from that point by converting the brownie – cheesecake idea into tarts. Not that this was supposed to make the dessert more delicious but in my view the tart shapes are very pretty. I thought that brownie tarts would be really exciting thing to eat as they look more elegant than the regular brownie squares. Well, don’t you think that brownies must also be elegant as they have such a great taste!
So far so good but my Cream Cheese Brownie Tarts definitely needed a final touch in order to become from “Yummy” to “Wow!” desserts. And it came to my mind that a good thing would be to add them some seasonal fruit . That’s how I came up with that fantastic garnish of peaches and morello cherry jam. This final detail on top gave the Cream Cheese Brownie Tarts not only a very nice additional flavour but also a great colour. I suddenly felt like a painter who just had created a masterpiece: looking at them made me thing that they couldn’t be more perfect than that.
Needless to say, the Cream Cheese Brownie Tarts were a great success. My usual food testers were very satisfied with them, so was I.
And the surprising thing is that these tarts are so easy to prepare! The brownie batter by itself is very straightforward to make: no mixer required and no special equipment. Same applies to the cream cheese mixture: you just need to whisk the ingredients shortly by hand and it is ready. The rest is only pouring the batter into the tart moulds, spooning the cream cheese on top and baking! Being individual portions, they are very quick to bake and to cool down. And at the end, just before serving, you would need to prepare the garnish. It will be ready in a matter of 15-20 minutes.
And that way, without much efforts and risks for something to go wrong, you will have wonderfully looking Cream Cheese Brownie Tarts with Peach Garnish that could be served even on a very special event!
Cream Cheese Brownie Tarts with Peach Garnish
For the brownie batter:
For the cream cheese mixture:
- 200 g cream cheese
- 60 g powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
For the peach garnish:
- 3 medium peaches finely chopped
- 2 tbs sugar
- 100 g morello cherry jam
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (360 degrees F). Grease and flour very well six 8-10 cm (3/12 - 4 inch) tart moulds.
- Combine chocolate and butter in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl on top of a pan with gently simmering water. Stir occasionally until both chocolate and butter are melted.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and transfer the melted ingredients into a large mixing bowl. Add sugar and stir
- until well combined. Add eggs, one by one, and stir, scrapping well the sides of the bowl. Gradually add cocoa powder and flour. Mix until absorbed in the batter.
Cream cheese mixture:
- In a medium bowl mix all ingredients and whisk until well combined.
- Pour the brownie batter into the prepared moulds. Spoon the cheesecake mixture on top, avoiding the edges. Try not to fill the moulds until the top as the tarts will grow during the baking.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with only a few crumbs.
- Remove the tarts from the oven and let them cool.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine peaches and sugar. Whisk from time to time until the mixture starts to bubble. Let simmer for about 10 minutes or until it starts thicken. Whisk from time to time to avoid burning. Add the morello cherry jam and stir until combined.
- Remove from heat and spoon on top of the tarts right before serving them.