Vanilla cake is the absolute classic cake: nice flavour and elegant taste. And this Moist Vanilla Cake Recipe is really great because the cake layers are fluffy and with velvety texture. Indeed, that cake is a heavenly experience and an unforgettable treat!
The Moist Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting was my birthday cake this year! That cake recipe is among the best I have ever prepared and it was highly appreciated by my guests.
It has become a tradition in the last several years for me to bake a birthday cake for myself. In 2016 I made this delicious Pink Naked Cake, while in 2015 I baked a wonderful Golden Cake. This year unintentionally the cake became yellow and somehow so many things around me were yellow on that day: the dress that I bought especially for my birthday, the earrings and part of the necklace that some of my friends gifted me… I love vibrant colours, so yellow might even become the accent colour for me this year!
I need to confess that before starting to prepare that cake I didn’t know how I wanted it. I had thought about vanilla, then I found this wonderful recipe and decided to give it a try. I divided the batter in two parts and coloured one of them in pink. The inspiration came from the colourful marshmallows which I had in my pantry. I suddenly knew that I should use them for the decoration. That’s why I also wanted to give the cake a similar to marshmallow look.
I haven’t met yet a person who doesn’t like the flavour of vanilla and I doubt that I would ever meet such. Vanilla is what makes this cake extraordinary even though vanilla is also the most common ingredient in almost any dessert. And I promise you, this cake is going to impress you!
Both frostings have vanilla taste as well: one is a simple Creme Chantilly (or sweetened whipped cream) and the other one is a combination of cream cheese and butter. Surely you know that cream cheese always adds a special deliciousness to any homemade food! In this case its taste is not predominant but it is enough to give the frosting a velvety texture and softness.
The last little touch in this cake are the dulce de leche truffles. Certainly they are not mandatory here so you can even skip them. Nevertheless the taste contrast between the truffles and the rest of this fantastic cake is remarkable so the extra efforts to make them are worth it.
Moist Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- Electric mixer
For the cake:
- 3 cups/ 360 g all purpose flour
- 1,5 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups/ 400 g sugar
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup/ 180 ml sunflower oil, or other vegetable liquid oil
- 7/8 cup/ 200 ml milk
- 4 eggs
- pink food colouring
For the Cream Cheese Buttercream frosting:
- 7 oz/ 200 g cream cheese , room temperature
- 7/8 cup / 200 g butter, softened
- 3 1/3 cups/ 400 g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extact
For the Creme Chantilly :
- 7/8 cup/ 200 ml whipping cream, cold
- 1/3 cup / 50 g powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Dulce de Leche truffles:
- 10,5 oz / 300 g dulce de leche
- 2/3 cup / 80 g ground walnuts
- 3/4 cup / 70 g ground hazelnuts
- 3/4 cup / 70 g cookie crumbs , + more for coating
- Dulce de Leche truffles
- Colourful sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Grease two 18 -20-cm (7-8 inch) cake pans after lining their bottoms with circles of parchment paper.
- Combine the flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl and whisk gently.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs, sugar, and vanilla at high speed for about 10 minutes. The mixture should thicken and should increase its volume.
- Add oil and continue beating for few more minutes, until smooth.
- Lower the speed of the mixer while adding the dry ingredients and the milk. Continue mixing until the batter is smooth.
- Pour half of the batter into one pan. Add some pink food colouring and mix gently with a spatula until the colour becomes uniform. Pour the pink batter into the second pan.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 15-20 minutes in the pans before removing them (this cake is fragile when hot). Remove from the pans and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. When the cakes reach room temperature, refrigerate them for at least 1-2 hours in order to make the assembly easier.
Cream Cheese Buttercream frosting:
- With a mixer on medium speed beat the butter until creamy. Add vanilla and cream cheese and continue beating until smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar with the mixer on low speed. When the sugar is completely absorbed, increase to high speed and beat for 2-3 minutes until fluffy.
- Before starting to prepare the frosting insert the mixing bowl and the beaters of the mixer in the freezer for about 10 minutes.
- Beat the heavy cream with the mixer at high speed until soft peaks form. Add sugar and vanilla and continue beating until very thick.
Dulce de Leche truffles:
- In a bowl mix all ingredients. Stir with a hand whisk until homogeneous. Cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate for 2 hours. With your fingers make different size balls and coat them in the biscuit crumbs.
Assemble the cake:
- With a serrated knife cut each cake horizontally into three layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and cover with 1/3 of the Creme Chantilly. Place another layer on top, with a different colour, and cover with some buttercream frosting (about the same quantity as the 1/3 of the Creme Chantilly). Continue the same process alternating the layer colours and the frostings. After placing on top the last layer, use an offset spatula to spread the rest of the Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting on top and all around the cake. For best results use first half of it, then refrigerate and cover with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate with marshmallows, dulce de leche truffles and sprinkles.
- The layers recipe was adapted from Ricardo Cuisine
- You can make the layers in advance and freeze them, wrapped very well in cling film after completely cooled.
- Store the leftovers in the fridge, covered with cling film or in an airtight container.