A wonderful chocolate layer cake with chocolate cream cheese buttercream frosting and truffles on top: the absolute dream of everyone who likes chocolate! In fact almost every chocolate dessert is something amazing to eat, especially when it is moist and with delicious chocolate frosting. But this particular cake is really impressive as it is made of six layers, each one covered by the velvety frosting! It simply melts in your mouth like a truffle and it is decorated with easy to make truffles: Here is the Best Chocolate Truffle Cake that you can make at home!
Why is this cake so good
This incredibly elegant cake is perfect for birthdays and other celebrations. It is so pretty but in fact it is very easy to accomplish this look. The key are the truffles that serve for decoration. But these delicious looking balls are not only for decoration purposes, they are also very tasty. They are made with the leftovers from the layers and the frosting of the cake. So easy to make that you won’t believe it! They are probably the fastest stylish decoration that you can imagine. Now I realise they even resemble a bit Christmas tree balls so I would recommend this cake for Christmas or New Year’s Eve too 🙂
How did I come up with this cake
I have to say there was no particular idea in my head before starting to prepare that Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Truffles. Just wanted a chocolate layer cake. The idea for the truffles came later, when I realised that both layers had a very uneven tops after baking. I had to trim a significant part in order to make them flat. It came up to my mind that these leftovers could be used for the decoration: why not for truffles. The only thing I needed was to break the trimmed pieces into crumbs, to mix them with little part of the frosting, to make balls and to coat them in sprinkles and cocoa powder. Great idea which contributed for the wonderful finish of the cake.
But actually the cake brought its name not only because of the decoration. It is a real melt-in-your mouth cake as the moist layers are so tasty!
I am sure you would love that wonderful dessert. Let me know in the comments what you think! And if you want to check other chocolate cake recipes, see the below selection:
Chocolate Dream Cake with Chocolate Truffles
- Electric mixer
For the cake base:
For the Chocolate Mousse:
- 4,2 oz/ 120 g dark chocolate, chips or block
- 1 ⅔ cup / 400 ml heavy whipping cream, refrigerated (see notes)
- 2 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 180 °C (350 °F). Line the bottoms of two 18-20-cm (8-inch) cake pans with circles of baking paper. Grease the pans well inside, onto the paper and on the sides.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon and salt and whisk gently.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs with the two kinds of sugar and vanilla at high speed of the mixer for about 10 minutes. When the mixture thickens and increases its volume, add the vegetable oil. Beat until homogeneous (2-3 minutes).
- Lower the speed of the mixer and add the yogurt. Mix shortly until combined. Add the dry ingredients and continue mixing until completely absorbed.
- Divide the batter between the two prepared pans. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out clean. Let the cakes cool for 10-15 minutes in the pans before removing them. They must reach room temperature before assembling the cake. Ideally refrigerate the two cakes for at least 1-2 hours before cutting them in layers.
- Take about 1/4 cup of the heavy cream and leave it aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whip the rest of the cold heavy cream with vanilla and the powdered sugar until very thick. Place it in the fridge while melting the chocolate.
- Break the chocolate into pieces and combine it with the 1/4 cup remaining heavy cream in a heatproof bowl. Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until the chocolate melts and the mixture becomes homogeneous.
- With a rubber spatula carefully fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until the mixture becomes smooth and uniform.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and powdered sugar for 3-4 minutes, until creamy. Add cream cheese and rum extract and beat until combined. Little by little add the melted chocolate and beat until absorbed in the frosting. Beat a bit more until the frosting becomes fluffy and creamy.
Assemble the cake:
- Using a large serrated knife trim any uneven parts of the cakes. Cut each cake horizontally in 3 equal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and generously spread on top Chocolate Mousse (about 1/5 of the whole quantity). Cover with another layer. Continue the process until using all 6 layers. Keep 1 tbs of the frosting for the truffles.
- Spread the Chocolate Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting on top and all around the cake.
- Decorate with Chocolate truffles.
For the truffles:
- Break the trimmed parts of the cake into crumbs and combine them with 1 tbs leftover frosting. Mix well and make balls out of the mixture. Coat them with chocolate sprinkles and cocoa powder.