Tasty, decadent and with a strong cocoa flavour: this Chocolate Keto Mug Cake is the ultimate quick treat for every chocolate lover! It is made with coconut flour and sour cream and you can prepare it in literally 10 minutes!
What is a mug cake
Mug cakes are similar to cupcakes but they are baked in mugs, usually in the microwave. That makes them really quick and easy. Most mug cake recipes are also for 1 to 4 portions, which is great if you don’t have other people to share them with. Mug cakes are ideal when you have unexpected guests: it would take you just few minutes to prepare the dessert from scratch.
And one of the best things is that you can eat mug cakes even when you are on a keto diet! You just need to chose the right ingredients.
What ingredients do you need for a Keto Chocolate Cake in a Mug
This Chocolate Keto Mug Cake recipe calls for just few easy to find ingredients. It is based on coconut flour and cocoa powder, combined with eggs, sour cream and extra virgin olive oil. All these ingredients are full of healthy nutrients and also contain very little carbs. The recipe calls also for xylitol but you can use other low carb sweeteners instead, like stevia or erythritol. Don’t forget to add some baking powder to the batter as you would need a raising agent. The last ingredient for the cake, even though totally optional, is frozen (or fresh) raspberries. They contribute with a very nice sweet and sour taste and elevate these chocolate mug cakes to a higher level!
The Greek yogurt topping makes this tasty treat even more decadent as it creates a wonderful texture and taste contrast.
How to make a Chocolate Keto Mug Cake with Coconut Flour
It takes literally minutes to make these cakes from scratch. You don’t even need a mixer: just a hand whisk and a bowl. Start by beating the eggs with the cream and the olive oil. Then gradually add all the dry ingredients mixed in another bowl. Pour the batter into small ramequins or mugs. Add some fresh or frozen raspberries. Microwave each mug for 60 seconds. While the cakes are baking, make the topping by mixing Greek yogurt with xylitol. Top each cake and enjoy this healthy dessert while it is still warm!
Did you like this recipe? I will be glad to receive your feedback. I would be also grateful if you share it in social media so more people can benefit from it.
If you are looking for other chocolate and raspberry recipes, here is a small selection:
Keto Chocolate Mug Cake
- Microwave oven
For the Mug Cakes:
For the topping:
- 1/2 cup / 120 ml greek yogurt
- 1 tbs xylitol
- In a small bowl combine coconut flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and xylitol. Whisk very well with a fork, to remove any lumps.
- In a medium bowl whisk together eggs, sour cream, olive oil and vanilla extract until smooth. Gradually add the dry ingredients, whisking gently until absorbed.
- Distribute the batter between 3 mugs or ramequins, half filling them. Insert 3-4 raspberries inside each mug.
- Bake each cake separately in the microwave for about 60 seconds at high. Top each mug cake with a tablespoon of greek yogurt topping.
- Whisk together greek yogurt and xylitol until smooth and creamy.
- Instead of raspberries you can use other berries. Bigger fruits like strawberries need to be chopped.
- If after 60 seconds of baking in the microwave you see any liquid batter remaining in the mug cake, bake for 5-10 seconds more.
- If you don’t have a microwave, alternatively you can bake the mug cakes in the oven at 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C for about 20-25 minutes.