I am a huge fan of red velvet desserts! If you follow this blog, you might have noticed that I prepare all sorts of them. And I know I am not the only one who loves this magical taste and colour! So it came to my mind to make a delicious, no churn Red Velvet Ice Cream. A perfect treat that no kid or adult would resist. And it contains a secret healthy ingredient!
Why is this recipe so good
Everyone loves no churn ice cream, right? It is quick and easy and just requires a freezer. There are so many reasons why homemade ice creams are better than most store-bought and that’s why I’ve published so many such recipes in my blog!
This particular ice cream is very special and surely intriguing. It has unexpectedly red colour which is blended with the white in a very pleasant way. It also contains red velvet crumbs! Its taste is just great and there is a secret ingredient that contributes to it: beetroot powder. I love using beetroot powder in my desserts because it is naturally red and sweet, brings nice taste and texture to the baked good and contains so many healthy nutrients. Much better than using artificial red colouring!
The first preparation step for Red Velvet Ice Cream is to make the cake base. This base will be made in crumbs when baked and the crumbs will be layered with the ice cream mixture in the container.
The cake base is not hard to make, in fact it is just mixing dry and wet ingredients. The hardest part is to wait for it to cool down before making the crumbs.
The ice cream base is made with condensed milk, sour cream, and cream cheese. The sour cream brings a special twist to the taste. And the best part is mixing some of the white ice cream with cocoa powder and beetroot powder to create a fantastic red velvet colour and wonderful flavour!
Tips and substitutions
Beware that the cake base is a bit too much for the whole ice cream quantity. You need about half of it.Therefore you can double the ice cream mixture ingredients and distribute it between two containers, or simply eat the rest of the cake plain… which is not a bad option at all!
Beetroot powder is a must in this recipe. If you substitute it with red food colouring, part of the flavour is gone. Still if you really have to, this is a possible option.
I would be very happy if you enjoy this recipe! Please let me know in the comments what you think of it. If you’ve made it, please share how it went!
Here are some more red velvet desserts that you may like:
- Healthy Red Velvet Cake
- Raw Red Velvet Cheesecake
- Red Velvet Crinkle Cookies
- Red Velvet Cinnamon Rolls (no yeast)
Red Velvet Ice Cream
For the cake base:
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F/ 180 degrees C. Line a small baking pan with parchment paper (7 inch/ 18 cm round or a rectangular with similar size). Grease very well inside the pan.
- In a cup combine sour cream, water and vinegar. Mix very well with a hand whisk.
- In a bowl combine sugar, flour, beetroot powder, cocoa powder and baking powder. Stir to combine.
- Add egg, vanilla and vegetable oil and whisk again. Gradually add the sour cream mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until a toothpick, inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until room temperature and then make it into crumbs.
- In a large mixing bowl combine sweetened condensed milk, cream cheese, sour cream and vanilla. Beat with the mixer for 2-3 minutes, until smooth.
- Transfer about half of the mixture (or less) to another bowl. Add the beetroot powder and the cocoa powder to it. Whisk very well to remove any lumps.
- In a loaf pan or a freezer container start layering the ice cream: first pour half of the white mixture, followed by half of the red mixture. Sprinkle half of the crumbs over the ice cream.
- Spread the remaining mixtures on top, following the same order.
- Cover the tin with cling film or close the container with a lid. Freeze for 8 hours.
- Before serving, leave the ice cream at room temperature for 10-15 minutes.
- You would need about half of the prepared cake base for the ice cream quantity. Therefore you can double the ice cream ingredients to use the whole cake, or eat the rest of the cake as it is.
- The quantity of beetroot powder and cocoa powder in the ice cream can be adjusted according to your preferences: it is about creating the most pleasant colour shade.