My idea of the perfect chocolate cake is rich, moist and with a creamy frosting on top. If you are on the same opinion, you will totally love this Easy Double Chocolate Cake. A delicious dark layer covered by white chocolate frosting: a simple perfection.
Why is this cake so good
Chocolate cake from scratch in about an hour: that is not a miracle! This recipe is so easy and yet with a wonderful result. It is perfect when you need a last minute dessert when you are not in a mood for something complicated. All chocolate lovers will like it but actually everyone will enjoy it. The reason I called it “double chocolate” is because the dark layer is covered by a white chocolate frosting: perfect combination of dark and white deliciousness!
Tips for making this recipe
There are not many things that could go wrong in this recipe. In fact it is suitable also for novice bakers. For perfect taste make sure you don’t overbake the cake, by checking it after the 30st minute in the oven. The toothpick will show you correctly what is the stage of baking. It is ok to remove from the oven with just few crumbs on it, if the cake looks firm overall.
A good rule of thumb is to eat the cake on the day after it has been baked. It will be still good right away but it will be even better if you give it some time to absorb the moisture from the frosting.
I am sharing the recipe here today because this cake is really good. It is not only very delicious but also incredibly simple: the perfect decadent dessert for any occasion! The cocoa and coffee are pairing perfectly in the cake, while the frosting, made of white chocolate and sour cream, is adding a great creamy finishing touch… Chocolate lovers, preheat your ovens! Here comes the recipe of the easiest double chocolate cake!
Easy Double Chocolate Cake
For the base:
- ¼ cup / 50 ml olive oil, or other vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ⅞ cup / 200 g sour cream
- ⅓ cup / 100 ml strong coffee
- ½ cup / 40 g cocoa powder
- 2,5 teaspoons baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- 1/ ⅔ cup/ 200 g cake flour, or all purpose flour
- 1 cup + 1 tbs/ 220 g sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F/ 170° C. Line a 8 - 9 inch/ 20-23 cm round cake pan with a circle of baking paper. Grease the pan well.
- In a bowl combine flour, cocoa powder, salt and baking powder. Stir carefully and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl beat eggs and sugar until foamy using an electric mixer. Add olive oil, vanilla, coffee and sour cream and whisk until homogeneous. Gradually add the dry ingredients and whisk until absorbed.
- Bake the cake for about 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with just few crumbs. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the cake to cool for 10 minutes before transferring it to a wire rack. Let the cake cool well before frosting it.
- Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and beat with a mixer or with a hand whisk for 2-3 minutes, until homogeneous.
- Top the cake with the frosting. Serve immediately or refrigerated.