Want to make a delicious dessert that is decadent and super easy to make? Try these wonderful Easy Magic Cookie Bars with Dates which are very quick and unexpectedly flavourful.
What kind of dessert is that
These Easy Magic Cookie Bars with Dates are something very similar to the best cookie you have ever had. It is like an enormous cookie in a pan, covered with five wonderful layers: dates, chocolate, walnuts, coconut and condensed milk for extra moisture. It is certainly a real magic in a baking pan. The recipe was inspired by the Ultimate Magic Cookie Bars. I made a slightly different version which turned out incredibly good as well.
How to make these bars
Making the bars is very easy. First you need to make a cookie dough and extend it on the bottom of a rectangular pan. Then you have to layer all the ingredients for the layers on top: shredded coconut, walnuts, dates, chopped chocolate and sweetened condensed milk. Then you bake and slice the bars once they have cooled down.
How much time you need
These cookie bars are not only easy but also quick. It would take you less than one hour from scratch: perfect if you need to make a last minute dessert using just pantry ingredients. And the best is that you can also include your kids in the baking process: they will love layering the ingredients over the cookie dough!
I am totally in love with this dessert not only because it is insanely delicious but also because it is super easy and can be prepared in no time. There is literally nothing that can go wrong in this recipe so even if you are the most unexperienced baker, you can still make it.
Did you make this recipe? Please let me know how it went: here in the comments, or tag me in Instagram!
Here are few more cookie variations that you would surely like:
Easy Magic Cookie Bars with Dates
For the Base:
- 1 cup /100 g cookie or graham cracker crumbs
- ⅓ cup /80 g butter, soft
- ⅓ cup / 70 g dark brown sugar
- ¼ cup / 50 g granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- ⅞ cup /100 g all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For the layers:
- ¾ cup / 50 g shredded coconut
- ¼ cup / 30 g walnuts, ground or chopped
- ¼ cup/ 50 g dates, pitted and chopped
- ⅓ cup/ 50 g chopped chocolate
- ½ can / 8 oz/ 200 ml sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line a small rectangular pan (approximately 25 x 19 cm/ 10 x 7,5 inch) with a sheet of parchment paper so that it hangs out on two opposite sides. Grease the pan well on top of the paper.
- In a bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat butter and two kinds of sugar, until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat again shortly, until smooth. Gradually add the flour mixture and the cookie crumbs and mix gently with wooden spatula until absorbed.
- Press the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Sprinkle on top evenly all the products for the layers: walnuts, dates, coconut, chocolate and condensed milk. Place over the pan a sheet of aluminium foil, without wrapping it.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until the cake is set and the edges start browning. Let cool completely before cutting into pieces.