Peaches are one of my favourite summer fruits. But I think many people are like me. We like peaches because they are fresh, juicy and beneficial for our health! I love peach desserts same as I love eating the raw fruits. But few people know that peaches can also be great in savoury dishes: like for example in a salad! That’s why in the current post I will show you one of the easiest and most delicious ways to enjoy this fruit for lunch or dinner: Grilled Peach Salad with Chicken and Avocado.
Grilling peaches is easier than you can think. You just need a grill pan, greased with extra virgin olive oil. If you don’t have a grill pan, you can toast the peaches in a normal pan. The only thing you would be missing is the grill marks but the taste will be still the same: wonderful.
Why is this salad so good
The Grilled Peach Salad with Chicken and Avocado is healthy and nutritious. It fills you well but it is also a good choice for people on a diet. It contains several healthy products: avocado, fresh green salad, chicken breast and last but not least: peaches. They all give you a full load of vitamins and minerals in a very tasty and satisfying combination. It is definitely a salad you don’t want to miss.
The chicken breast is the only product you need to cook in advance. You can use leftover boiled chicken or you can boil some just for the purpose. You could also cook it on a pan with some olive oil: this is actually the fastest way and it is even tastier. When it starts becoming golden, it is ready for the salad!
It turned out that I really enjoy grilling peaches. I don’t remember cooking anything else on a pan to have been such a fun for me! So after I grilled quite a few of them, I decided to make also a dessert:
Grilled Peaches with Vanilla Ice Cream
It is so easy that it doesn’t even need a recipe: just place one grilled peach on a plate, cover it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream and enjoy! Alternatively you can garnish your dessert with fresh basil but this is not so important. And, believe it or not, after eating your salad you will be still in the mood to have the grilled peaches with ice cream as well!
Grilled Peach Salad with Chicken and Avocado
For the grilled peaches:
- 4 peaches, pitted and halved
- 2-3 tbs extra virgin olive oil
For the salad:
- ½ cup / 100 g baby spinach
- 2 cups/ 50 arugula
- 2 avocados, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 3-4 cooked chicken breasts, about 14 oz / 400 g (preferably warm)
- a bunch of fresh onions, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil to taste
- balsamic vinegar to taste
- salt to taste
- Brush each half peach with olive oil from both sides.
- Preheat grill pan over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, place on top several peaches, cut side down. Cook until grill marks appear, 3-5 minutes. Invert the peaches and cook for another few minutes, until grill marks appear on the skin and the fruits start to soften.
- In a salad bowl combine baby spinach, rucola, avocados and onion. Add salt, oil and vinegar and mix well.
- Divide the salad between four serving plates. Place on each one a piece of cooked and sliced chicken breast and two halves grilled peaches. Serve immediately.
- In case you don’t have a grill pan, you can toast the peaches on a normal frying pan or skillet.
- You can use leftover chicken breast (as long as it hasn't been cooked in a sauce with a strong taste) or you can boil the chicken breasts in advance. Warm it up just a bit before serving it: you can do this in a microwave, oven or on the grill pan before or after the peaches.