Apple Cobbler is one of the best old-fashioned recipes that you can make at home with simple ingredients and without spending too much time in the kitchen. With this recipe you can make a healthier version, which is still very tasty and satisfying.
What makes this recipe unique
The special thing about this Apple Cobbler is that it is made with coconut sugar, instead of regular cane sugar and the biscuit dough contain whole grain spelt flour. The biscuits are slightly crispy, which makes a nice contrast with the soft and juicy apple filling. If you add a scoop of vanilla ice cream, it makes the taste combination even nicer!
What ingredients you need
Below is a summary of the recipe ingredients. You will find the complete ingredient list with their quantities in the recipe card.
For the apple filling you would need apples, coconut sugar and some ground cinnamon. You can use any type of apples or a mix of two kinds: for example granny smith and golden delicious. I used red delicious and they worked perfectly.
For the biscuits you would need all-purpose flour, whole grain spelt flour, coconut sugar, butter, milk, baking powder and vanilla. This is a recipe without buttermilk and has a wonderful earthy taste of spelt.
First you need to cook shortly the apples with the cinnamon and coconut sugar, until they soften and release liquids.
Then you have to make the dough for the biscuits by crumbling the cold butter with the flour and the sugar and then adding gradually the wet ingredients. You need to roll the dough, fold it and cut biscuits with a round cookie cutter. Arrange the biscuits on top of the apples and bake.
Find the detailed instructions in the recipe card below!
How to serve
The apple cobbler is best with some ice cream. Vanilla is the kind used most commonly for cobblers but if you want to keep your dessert healthier, maybe use homemade banana nice cream. In fact any kind of ice cream you like could be a great garnish to this wonderful old-fashioned dessert!
I hope you liked this recipe! If you made it, please let me know in the comments how it went!
Here are few more apple desserts that you might enjoy:
- Kids Friendly Apple Tiramisu
- Apple Dump Cake From Scratch
- Apple cake with cookies
- Apple Caramel Pudding
Healthy Apple Cobbler
For the apples:
- 3-4 large apples, peeled and sliced
- ⅓ cup/ 60 g coconut sugar , or dark brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the biscuits:
- ⅔ cup/ 120 g coconut sugar
- 1 cup/ 120 g whole grain spelt flour
- 1 cup/ 120 g all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup/ 160 g butter, cold
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup/ 80 ml whole milk
- Vanilla ice cream
- In a saucepan at a medium heat combine all ingredients. Mix occasionally. When the mixture starts bubbling, lower the heat. Cook until the apples soften lightly.
- Transfer the apples into a greased pie dish and set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the two kinds of flour, the sugar and the baking powder. Whisk very well.
- Add the butter and use your fingers to mix it with the flour very well. You will end up with a mixture like crumbs.
- Add the milk and vanilla extract and knead the mixture shortly, to make a dough.
- Alternatively you can prepare the dough in a food processor at a medium to low speed, following the same steps.
- Roll the dough into a thin sheet (⅕-1/4 inch). Fold the sheet in half and then once again in half. Use a round cookie cutter to cut biscuits from the folded dough.
- Roll the dough again and repeat the folding procedure before cutting more biscuits.
- Repeat until the whole dough has been used.
- Arrange the biscuits on top of the apples in the pie dish.
- Place the cobbler on a baking sheet in the oven. Bake for about 20 minutes or until the biscuits become golden-brown.
- Serve warm, with a scoop of ice cream on every plate.
- Instead of coconut sugar, you can use dark brown or light brown sugar.
- You can use any size cookie cutter.