That Vanilla Cake Roll with Chocolate Mousse is a simple and wonderfully tasty dessert suitable for any occasion!
Recently I’ve been struggling a lot to balance between my work life, my family and my blog. I had been also trying to revive a bit my inexistent social life, without much success so far. These days I am sleeping less and less while constantly multitasking but still my time is not enough for anything… Few days ago I even started questioning myself if I should I give up posting in the blog for the time being and simply continue my life without all these extra efforts.
The truth is that every blog post requires an average of 4-5 hours just for recipe preparation and photography (this doesn’t count the baking, cooking and chilling time). In addition I need a minimum of 4-5 hours to write and translate the post and to publish it in the blog… I have no other time to do this apart from the weekends. Which means that I need one full day to focus on the blog only and to ignore my son, my better half, my house, my friends and everyone else around me. That’s really challenging but I have been managing to do it for a year now. A whole year!
So why am I doing all these efforts if the blog is still not even self-sustaining?
The reality is that having my blog is making me relax, even though it also exhausts me at the same time. It keeps my sanity and it makes me feel that I create something meaningful. I am extremely happy when someone tells me that my cake recipe has been a success for them: that’s the biggest compliment and the best motivation for me.
Having all these points in mind, eventually I decided that in spite of the challenges I won’t stop posting, neither I will put my blog on hold. I can’t promise that I will be always posting every week as it is at the moment but I will certainly continue my efforts. And I really hope that my recipes and photos will bring some joy to more people!
Today’s Vanilla Cake Roll with Chocolate Mousse is a relatively easy recipe with a great result. It is fluffy, spongy, with nice texture and wonderful taste!
The recipe of the cake is adapted from The Golden Book of Desserts. I made the filling similar to my Double Chocolate Mousse but added it a bit of instant coffee to intensify the taste.
This roll is not only delicious, it is also a recipe that almost everyone can make! It is a very elegant dessert to serve to your afternoon tea guests or at the end of a nice lunch. It is one of the simplest sweet rolls that you can make!
Alternatively if you are not a big chocolate fan, you could fill the roll with almost any filing you like. Custard cream, jelly or even jam: surely you won’t make a mistake!
Vanilla Cake Roll with Chocolate Mousse
For the Cake Roll:
- 4 eggs, , divided
- 150 g powdered sugar + more for sprinkling
- 50 g all purpose flour
- 20 g cornstarch
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tbs water
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line a large baking pan (approximately 25x35 cm) with a sheet of parchment paper.
- In a small bowl combine flour and cornstarch and mix to blend.
- In a large bowl beat together egg yolks, powdered sugar and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract until creamy. Add flour and cornstarch and mix carefully with a rubber spatula until combined.
- In another large bowl whip the egg whites and salt until very thick. Carefully fold in the whites to the yolk mixture until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden.
- Sprinkle some powdered sugar over a clean tea towel. Place the baked cake on the towel (with the paper on top). Remove the paper and trim any uneven edges of the cake. Carefully roll up the the cake together with the tea towel. Let cool for 30 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl whip 150 ml cold heavy cream until very thick (before starting, allow it to sit for 6-8 hours on the top each of the fridge).
- In a medium heatproof bowl combine the chocolate, broken into pieces, the instant coffee and 50 ml heavy cream. Place the bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Stir until the chocolate melts.
- With a rubber spatula carefully fold the chocolate mixture into the whipped cream until homogeneous. Let cool in the fridge for 1-2 hours before assembling the roll.
- Unroll the cake and remove the towel. Place the cake on top of a sheet of parchment paper. Sprinkle with 1 teaspoon vanilla extract dissolved in 2 tbs water. Distribute the chocolate mousse evenly on top and roll the cake carefully, using the paper as a support. Wrap the rolled cake into the paper and let stay in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Before serving sprinkle the roll with powdered sugar.