Everyone loves ice cream and especially kids. Unfortunately majority of the store bought kinds are far from healthy. But what if you could make a super easy, four ingredient Healthy Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream that everyone would enjoy and love? This is not just a dream: the recipe below is exactly that!
Why make this Ice Cream
It is tasty, decadent and delicious, even thought it is vegan. It is also good for you. It is based on frozen bananas, flavoured with coconut and cocoa – all of them full of healthy nutrients. It is a great dessert, really easy and quick to make. Last but not least, your kids would love it! My kid doesn’t like bananas but he enjoyed a lot this ice cream.
In fact you can make ice cream just with frozen bananas: they are very tasty on their own. However I wanted to make a flavoured and multicolour version which is also more interesting for kids.
What do you need for this Healthy Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream
This ice cream is made completely in a food processor or a blender. No mixer is required.
You need only four ingredients for this recipe:
How to make the Healthy Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream
First you need to blend the frozen bananas together with the coconut until smooth. Initially the mixture will resemble sand but as you keep processing, it will become creamy. At this stage you can transfer half of the ice-cream to a box and place it in the freezer. This is done to avoid the ice cream melting further and also by layering the two kinds, you can get them both in each scoop.
The rest of the ice cream needs to be processed again for a minute or so together with the cocoa powder. Then we can add it to the box as a second layer.
This is a soft serve ice-cream and it is best consumed right away (or in 10-15 minutes to avoid having it melted too soon). Leftovers can be stored in the freezer for longer. When it gets hard, this ice cream looses its initial creaminess. To make it a soft serve again, you can process it one more time in the food processor.
If you are interested in more homemade ice cream recipes, check out the selection below:
Healthy Coconut Chocolate Ice Cream
- In a food processor or a blender combine frozen bananas, coconut oil and shredded coconut. Process for 2-3 minutes, until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer about half of the mixture into a plastic box (or a rectangular cake paand put it in the freezer.
- Add cocoa powder to the rest of the mixture in the food processor and process for another 15-30 seconds, until uniform. Add the cocoa mixture to the rest of the ice cream as a second layer.
- Serve in 15-30 minutes, using an ice cream scoop.
- Keep leftovers in the freezer. Before serving let the ice cream set for 30 minutes or process again in the food processor to obtain creamy texture.
- To freeze bananas, cut them into chunks and place them in a plastic box or a plastic bag in the freezer. Freeze for at least 24 hours or up to 3 months.
- Instead of coconut oil you can use cocoa butter