If you want to bake a low carb dessert that is easy and tastes really good, this Keto Cheesecake Recipe is a perfect choice. You won’t believe how simple it is and still how impressive is the result.
What makes a dessert keto
In summary all keto foods are very low in carbohydrates and high in proteins and fat. This means that keto desserts can’t be made with sugar or any kind of high energy sweeteners like agave, maple syrup or honey. But as every dessert needs to be sweet, you have to choose sweeteners that contain a minimum amount of carbohydrates.
Among the most popular options for keto sweets are erythritol, stevia and xylitol, being all of them from natural origin. Most artificial sweeteners are keto friendly too, but they are not the kind of products I would include in any of my recipes due to being a potential health hazard.
I chose xylitol for this Keto Cheesecake Recipe for one main reason: it is a low carb sweetener which also has a beneficial effect on the teeth. It is a safe product for adults and for kids and it is easy to find in the local stores.
What ingredients do you need for the Keto Cheesecake Recipe
All the ingredients of this cheesecake are very low in carbohydrates and some of them contain lots of fats. The base of this keto dessert are coconut flour, walnuts, sour cream and ricotta. I added also some dark chocolate for additional richness. The topping is made with berries which are among the few fruits suitable for ketogenic diet. The whole combination of tastes is really nice and delicious.
How to make Keto Cheesecake
In spite of of being a baked cheesecake, this recipe is quite easy. The walnut coconut crust is made in a few minutes. The filling is also very straight forward: just beat shortly the ingredients with a mixer and then pour it in the pan, on top of the crust. Before baking don’t forget to add few pieces of dark chocolate inside the filling: this will definitely make the cheesecake experience even better. The berry topping is absolutely no fuss. In fact if you are too lazy, you can just top the cheesecake with fresh berries.
Overall this quick keto cheesecake is similar to a regular cheesecake, if not better. Its texture is like velvet and unlike the high carbohydrate sweets, it makes you energised for a long time, after you eat it! Even if you are not on a diet, I recommend you to try it: you will love the experience!
In case you want to check other baked cheesecake recipes, here are few:
Keto Cheesecake Recipe
For the Crust:
- 2/3 cup ground walnuts, 80 g
- 2 tbs coconut flour
- 1 tbs xylitol, 12 g
- 1 tbs melted coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the filling:
For the topping:
- 4,4 oz berries, 125 g
- 1 tbs xylitol
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- fresh berries
- fresh basil or min leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F/ 200 degrees Line the bottom of a 7 inch/ 18 cm spring form pan with a circle of parchment paper. Wrap the pan tightly with two sheets of aluminium foul, to prevent the cheesecake from leaking.
- Combine all ingredients and mix them until smooth. Press the crust to the bottom of the prepared pan. Leave the pan in the fridge, while preparing the filling.
- Combine all ingredients, except the chocolate in a large mixing bowl and beat them until smooth.
- Pour the filling into the pan, over the crust. Break the chocolate into small pieces and drop them inside the filling to sink in.
- The filling will be very runny so put it immediately in the hot oven, to avoid leakage. Decrease the temperature to 360 degrees F/ 180 degrees Bake until the top is set and the edges become yellow (about 1 hour). Switch off the oven and open its door just a bit. Let the cheesecake cool inside for 30 minutes. Remove the cheesecake from the oven and let it cool until room temperature. Cover with aluminium foil and refrigerate for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Before serving cover with the topping and decorate with fresh berries and leaves.
- In a small saucepan combine the berries and xylitol. Heat until the mixture starts simmering.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the chia seeds. Let cool for 15 minutes, before topping the cheesecake with it.