Imagine a cake made of cookie dough! A big and delicious cookie, crunchy outside and chewy in the middle, full of dark and white chocolate chunks. Absolute heaven of cookies and chocolate!
What is Double Chocolate Cookie Cake
If you like chocolate chip cookies, you will love that Double Chocolate Cookie Cake. It is literally stuffed with chocolate chunks: not chocolate chips but chunks made out of a chocolate bar, using a knife. When you cut a chocolate bar you produce irregular shaped chocolate pieces which will go inside the cookie cake. In addition tiny chocolate shaves will be formed as well and they will get absorbed into the dough… The result will be absolutely delicious, as you can imagine.
What ingredients do you need for this Cookie Cake recipe
You need the same the ingredients as for regular cookies: eggs, flour, sugar, baking powder, butter and some cornstarch for a softer texture. You also need dark and white chocolate bars which you have to break in small pieces with a big, sharp knife.
How to make Double Chocolate Cookie Cake
Preparing the Cookie Cake is almost as simple as baking cookies. The main difference is that you need to bake the cake in a greased cake pan, instead of shaping cookies with your hands and arranging them in baking tins. Of course, that means that you will need a bit longer time for baking.
There is one special moment in the preparation of the Double Chocolate Cookie Cake: you need to mix only the dark chocolate chips with the dough. Afterwards you have to place in the pan first half of the dough, then spread the white chocolate chips on top and cover them with the rest of the dough. That way the white chocolate will be discovered only after the cake is cut: a little nice surprise.
Serve this Cookie Cake warm. That will keep the two kinds of chocolate in a slightly melted state for maximum pleasure. You can add some whipped cream or an ice cream scoop on top but they are totally optional. I decorated my cake with chocolate coated fruits.
I would love to hear your opinion of this Double Chocolate Cookie Cake! If you baked it, let me know in the comments how it went!
Double Chocolate Cookie Cake
- ½ cup butter, (130 g)
- 2 cups all purpose flour, (220 g)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup brown sugar, (180 g)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 tbs cornstarch, (20 g)
- 200 g dark chocolate bar, (7 oz)
- 100 g white chocolate bar, (3.5 oz)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line a 18 - 20 cm baking tin with a circle of parchment paper.
- Using a big sharp knife, chop the two kinds of chocolate into pieces (separately). You don’t need to make the pieces equal size.
- In a bowl combine flour, cornstarch and baking powder and stir.
- Melt the butter on a double boiler until only small pieces remain solid. Pour it into a large mixing bowl and whisk until completely melted. Add sugar and whisk energetically for 1-2 minutes. Add vanilla and eggs, one at a time, and whisk until almost smooth, scrapping out the sides.
- Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing gently with a wooden spoon until absorbed. At the end fold in the chopped dark chocolate.
- Extend half of the dough onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Spread the chopped white chocolate on top. Cover with the rest of the dough.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the edges of the cake start becoming golden brown. Let cool for 15 - 30 minutes before serving. You can serve it plain or garnish with ice cream or whipped cream.
- Keep leftovers in airtight container. Reheat lightly before serving them so that the chocolate chunks melt inside.