One of my all time favourite desserts are the Peanut Butter Cups: tasty peanut butter filling covered in chocolate and shaped like cupcakes. I really love them but I realised only recently that I could actually make them on my own without much efforts! With the recipe below you too will be able to make very delicious and simple Keto Peanut Butter Cups at home! Only 6 ingredients are required!
Why is this recipe so good
This recipe is perfect for low carb diet as the two main ingredients: chocolate and peanut butter are naturally rich in fats. The only thing to adjust is the sweetener: it has to be keto friendly.
On the other hand this recipe is easily adaptable for a high carb diet. You will find below also options with coconut sugar and with milk chocolate, in case you want to indulge a standard dessert.
The best thing about this recipe is that it is super easy and requires just six ingredients!
How to choose the ingredients
You will find the complete list and quantities of the required ingredients below the post, in the printable recipe card. But here I would like to mention why I chose them and what is the effect of each one on the dessert.
These homemade peanut butter cups are not only keto but also healthy. Therefore you have to choose high quality peanut butter, preferably organic. When you buy it, check carefully the product packaging as some kinds of peanut butter contain palm oil and hydrogenated fats which are very unhealthy. The good peanut butter should contain nothing else but peanuts.
Secondly, for keto friendly desserts you want to use also high quality chocolate with over 80% cocoa content. If you prefer the high carb version, cocoa content is not that important and you can even use milk chocolate. But even here, the better its quality is, the tastier will be the dessert.
Last but not least, to make low carb peanut butter cups you need a keto friendly sweetener. I usually use xylitol because it is good for the teeth but erythritol, stevia or monk fruit sweetener are just fine. Beware that each of them has to be used in different proportions as only xylitol has the same sweetness as sugar.
Once ready, these peanut butter cups won’t last long, believe me! They are so tasty that you won’t realise how fast they would disappear. In any case make sure you don’t leave them long at room temperature as they tend to melt pretty fast. Sore them in airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks. You can also freeze them in airtight containers and keep them for about 3 months.
Did you like this recipe? I would be very happy to receive your feedback about it. Let me know in the comments what you think. And if you are interested in more peanut butter recipes (even though not keto), check the below selection:
Keto Peanut Butter Cups
For the Peanut Butter Filling:
- ¾ cup / 180 g peanut butter, preferably organic (see notes)
- 3 tbsp / 40 g butter
- 2 tbsp xylitol
- ⅓ cup / 40 g peanuts, ground (or peanut flour)
For the Chocolate coating:
- 7 oz / 200 g chocolate, at least 80% cocoa
- 3 tbsp/ 45 ml heavy cream
- 1 tbsp xylitol
Peanut Butter Filling:
- In a small saucepan over low heat combine peanut butter, butter and xylitol. Mix continuously until the mixture becomes smooth and all ingredients are combined. The heat needs to be very low in order to avoid burning.
- Remove from heat and add the ground peanuts. Mix until combined. Set aside to cool down for few minutes.
- Combine all ingredients in a double boiler (in a heatproof bowl over a pan with a gently simmering water, so that the bowl doesn’t touch the water). Mix continuously until the chocolate is melted and combined with the cream and xylitol.
- Line a 12-cup muffin tin with paper cases.
- Using a teaspoon distribute about half of the melted chocolate around the cases, so that also part of the sides are coated.
- Add about 2 teaspoons of the peanut butter mixture on top of the chocolate.
- Spoon the remaining chocolate in the cups over the peanut butter, covering it all.
- Refrigerate the cups for 1-2 hours before serving. Store in airtight container in the fridge for up to two weeks.
- It is very important to use high quality peanut butter without any unhealthy additions like hydrogenated fats and palm oil. That’s why organic peanut butter is preferred. Make sure you check the ingredients on the product packaging before buying it.
- For best result use high quality dark chocolate with high cocoa content. If you are not following a keto diet, the cocoa content is not so important.
- Instead of xylitol you can use other keto sweetener: like erythritol or stevia.
- If you are not concerned about carbs, you can use milk chocolate instead of dark. In this case choose your most preferred chocolate and just melt in on double boiler without adding xylitol or cream.
- For high carb but still healthy (refined sugar free) version use coconut sugar instead of xylitol. Beware that the chocolate consistency might become a bit grainy if the sugar doesn’t dissolve but that won’t impact the taste.