Celebrate the spring with this wonderful No Bake Strawberry Ombre Cheesecake with Chocolate Crust! It is a light and delicious dessert that will make you feel good.
What is special about this recipe
This is not just a random cheesecake, this is a no-bake, Ombre cheesecake with strawberries and cream. The word “ombre” in French means “shaded”. The ombre effect is created by blending different colour hues one to another, from light to dark. In this case the filling of the dessert is created by adding layers with more and more strawberries.
But apart from pretty, this cheesecake is also very tasty. You will find below the detailed recipe how to make it!
What ingredients you need
The cheesecake crust is made of butter, cookie crumbs and chocolate. The chocolate makes the dessert really impressive: it brings an additional taste which goes perfectly well with the strawberries.
To make the filling of the cheesecake velvety and tasty, you need a combination of cream cheese, sour cream and strawberries. Tho thicken the texture, you need to use gelatine. Its quantity is not too much: just enough to keep the consistency of the cheesecake creamy but easy to cut with a knife.
Of course you also need vanilla, sugar and some fresh fruit for decoration. Find all ingredients and the quantities below the post, in the recipe card!
About the crust
The crust is made by melting together the chocolate and the butter and mixing the mixture with cookie (or cracker crumbs). There are several good choices in terms of crumbs: you can use graham crackers, oreo cookies or petit beurre cookies: all would go pretty well.
Summary of the filling preparation
To make the filling, first you need to combine the cream cheese, sour cream and powdered sugar and add to the mixture the gelatine, melted in hot water. That makes the base white filling.
Separately you need to make a strawberry compote.
Then to create the ombre effect, you have to start layering the filling, adding the strawberry compote to it little by little. First you spoon some white filling on the crust, then combine the rest of the filling with some strawberry compote. Continue layering the filling and adding the rest of the compote to it.
Notice that the top of the cheesecake will be the creamiest: that is completely normal. The bottom part would be a bit thicker as the whiter the filling, the higher concentration of gelatine it would contain.
This cheesecake is perfect for any occasion! It is great just decorated with fresh strawberries on top. If you want to serve it for a birthday party or another special occasion, you can slice the strawberries and arrange them on one side. Then to keep them fresh, brush them with some gelatine, dissolved in water.
If you like strawberries, I recommend you to try make this delicious cheesecake. This is the best spring desert with elegant look and heavenly taste! It is also not too complicated to prepare: just keep in mind that it needs a good 6 hours in the fridge before becoming ready for serving.
And if you love strawberries, here are few more desserts with this fruit:
- Easy Strawberry Charlotte
- Strawberry Ice Cream Cake from Scratch
- Strawberry Cheesecake Poke Cake from Scratch
No Bake Strawberry Ombre Cheesecake
For the crust:
- ¼ cup/ 50 g butter
- 1 ⅓ cup/ 130 g graham cracker crumbs, or oreo crumbs (see notes)
- 1,4 oz/ 40 g dark chocolate
- In a heatproof bowl placed over a pan with gently simmering water melt together butter and chocolate.
- Remove the bowl from the heat and add in the cracker crumbs (crushed in a zipped bag with a rolling pin or in a food processor). Mix until well combined.
- Press the prepared crust onto the bottom of a 7 inch/ 18 cm springform pan lined with parchment paper. Let the pan sit in the fridge while preparing the cheesecake filling.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine chopped strawberries and sugar and bring to boil. Let simmer for about 30 minutes, mixing from time to time. When the mixture starts getting thick, remove from heat and let cool until room temperature.
- In a large mixing bowl whip the sour cream with vanilla and powdered sugar for 5 minutes at high speed. Add cream cheese and beat at a lower speed until well combined.
- Combine the gelatine with the water. Let sit for 5-10 minutes to bloom.
- Place the gelatine with the water in a small heatproof bowl over a pan with gently simmering water (double boiler). Whisk continuously until the gelatine is completely dissolved.
- With the mixer on high speed, slowly add the gelatine mixture to the cheesecake filling. Beat until combined very well.
Assemble the cheesecake:
- Spoon a small part of the white filling in the prepared pan, over the crust. Place the pan in the fridge.
- Add about ⅓ of the strawberry mixture to the remaining filling in the bowl. aMix with a spatula until well combined.
- Spoon some of of the coloured filling in the pan to cover completely the white one.
- Add about half of the remaining strawberry mix to the cheesecake filling and mix until well combined. Spoon another layer of filling into the pan (it should be slightly more intensive pink than the previous layer).
- Add the rest of the strawberry mix to the cheesecake. Mix well until combined. Pour/ spoon the rest of the strawberry filling into the pan. Smooth out the top with the spatula.
- Cover the cheesecake with cling film and let stay in the fridge for at least 6 hours.
- Decorate with fresh strawberries before serving.