This perfectly elegant, light and tasty Strawberry Ice Cream Cake is the ideal spring and early summer dessert. It is not at all hard to make it from scratch with just few simple ingredients.
What is special about this recipe
You don’t need a store-bought ice cream in order to make a tasty and easy ice cream cake. You don’t even need an ice cream maker to obtain a creamy and smooth texture. You can make it absolutely from scratch with simple ingredients. One of the best things of homemade ice cream cakes is that they don’t contain artificial additives, stabilisers and colorants.
This Strawberry Ice Cream Cake is special because it is made with mascarpone. The Italian cheese gives a creamy texture to the frozen filling and makes it light at the same time. I love making frostings and fillings with mascarpone! It was the first time to try it in an ice cream and I am more than satisfied.
What ingredients you need
You need simple ingredients, easy to find in local stores: 1 egg, all purpose flour, sugar, baking powder, almond extract, mascarpone cheese, heavy whipping cream, sweetened condensed milk, strawberries
You can find the required quantities below the post, in the recipe card.
Below is a summary of the steps: you can find the more detailed recipe and the ingredient quantities at the bottom of the post.
- First you need to bake the cake layer. It is a thin sponge cake, made by beating separately the egg white and the yolk. Add the rest of the ingredients to the yolk and then fold the whipped egg white into the mixture. Transfer the batter to a greased cake pan, lined with parchment paper and bake. Let the sponge layer cool and then place it on the bottom of the same pan, washed and lined again with parchment paper.
- To make the filling, whip the cream until thick and separately beat together the mascarpone and the condensed milk. Combine the two mixtures and then divide the filling in two parts. Mix the chopped strawberries into to the first one and then spread it on top of the cake layer in the pan. Place the pan in the freezer while preparing the last layer.
- Heat the remaining strawberries with some sugar and let them simmer for few minutes, until thickened. Remove from the heat, let cool and then puree the mixture in a food processor. Combine the strawberry puree with the remaining filling. Spread it on top of the other layers in the pan. Cover with cling film and freeze until firm. Decorate the cake before serving.
Store the ice cream cake in a freezer. If you need it for a party, you can leave it for about 45 minutes at room temperature. If the weather is hot, reduce this time to 30 minutes. Don’t leave it longer because it will melt! It will also melt if left in the fridge but not as quick.
This delicious strawberry mascarpone dessert goes perfectly with lemonade, sparkling wine or with a nice cocktail as an afternoon snack. It is the perfect sweet treat to have on a summer day on your balcony or garden. This is one of the tastiest and lightest strawberry cakes you can enjoy.
I really hope you would love this recipe, same as I do. It is delicious and easy to make: the perfect frozen dessert even for special occasions!
I have selected for you few more strawberry recipes that you might like as well:
Strawberry Ice Cream Cake from Scratch
- Electric mixer
- Food Processor/ Blender
For the sponge layer:
- 1 egg, separated
- 2 tbs / 30 g all purpose flour*
- 2 tbs / 30 g sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
For the ice cream layers:
- 1 ⅛ cup / 250 g mascarpone cheese
- ⅞ cup/ 200 ml heavy cream, cold
- 13,4 oz/ 397 ml sweetened condensed milk
- 8 oz / 225 g strawberries + more for decoration
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F/ 180 degrees C. Line a 7 inch/ 18 cm spring form pan with a circle of parchment paper and grease well the inside of the pan.
- In a small bowl combine flour and baking powder and mix well to blend.
- Whip the egg white in a bowl. In another bowl beat the egg yolk with the sugar until thick and pale. Gradually add the flour mixture and the almond extract. At the end gently fold in the egg whites.
- Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Bake for about 15-20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let cool completely before assembling the ice cream cake.
Ice Cream Layers:
- In a large mixing bowl whip the cold cream until thick and creamy. In another bowl beat together mascarpone and sweetened condensed milk until smooth. Using a rubber spatula, gently combine the two mixtures. Divide the resulting filling in two parts.
- Wash and dry out the pan where the cake layer was baked. Line it again with a circle of parchment paper and place the cake layer on the bottom.
- Chop finely about ⅓ of the strawberries and fold them into one part of the ice cream filling. Pour the mixture on top of the cake layer in the pan. Place the pan in the freezer until preparing the rest of the filling.
- Combine the rest of the strawberries with the sugar in a small saucepan. Place it over medium heat and bring it to simmer. Lower the heat and stir for about 5 minutes, until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and let cool for 15 minutes.
- Using a food processor/ blender puree the strawberries until smooth. With a rubber spatula fold the strawberry puree into the remaining part of the filling. Pour the resulting mixture in the cake pan. Place a cling film on top.
- Freeze for about 6-8 hours, until firm. Decorate with fresh strawberries before serving.
- Optionally you can use for the sponge layer 1 tbs all purpose flour and 1 tbs almond meal.
- Store the ice cream cake in the freezer for up to three months.