A delicious dessert, made with very few ingredients which is perfect for any occasion: this Chocolate Yogurt with Strawberry Compote will impress you! It is very easy to make and really nice.
I like making mouses and creamy desserts. There is something really great about eating sweets in a cup with a spoon. I have made a lot of recipes for such desserts. Among my favourites are the Pistachio Cheesecake Mousse with Brownie Bites, the Orange Cheesecake in a Glass or the absolute hit Double Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry sauce. In fact the current recipe is somehow inspired by the last one. But this time I wanted a yogurt base which has a unique mild taste.
The good news is that for this dessert you don’t need to have fresh strawberries: frozen work equally well. That makes this Chocolate Yogurt with Strawberry Compote suitable for all seasons. In fact one of the reasons to make this recipe was because I accidentally saw frozen ones in a shop and decided that it was a really a good idea to make a dessert with them.
The recipe is easy and straightforward. The main challenge for you would be to avoid the chocolate to become hard before it is mixed within the yogurt (even though this would not deteriorate the taste, it would just change the texture). In order to obtain a smooth consistency, you need to bring the yogurt almost to room temperature before folding the melted chocolate into it. Otherwise you might get a stracciatella like consistency, which is not that bad, is it? The strawberry compote on top is almost literally the cherry of the cake and is pleasantly contrasting the yogurt.
As much as we love layer cakes (and I am one of the biggest cake lovers ever born), sometimes we need a very simple dessert to bring joy to our life, without spending time in the kitchen. This Chocolate Yogurt with Strawberry Compote is exactly that: six ingredients (even five, if we count sugar only once), no mixer or oven required, just pure simplicity and wonderful taste!
Chocolate Yogurt with Strawberry Compote
For the Chocolate Yogurt:
For the Strawberry Compote:
- 200 g strawberries fresh or frozen
- 2 tbs caster sugar
- Take the yogurt out of the fridge about 30 minutes before starting to prepare the recipe.
- Mix the yogurt with sugar and vanilla extract and mix well with a whisk.
- Melt chocolate in a double boiler (in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water). Using a rubber spatula, gradually fold the chocolate into the yogurt mixture. If the yogurt is still a bit cold, it is possible part of the chocolate to form little pieces inside (almost like stracciatella). This shouldn’t be a problem.
- Pour the mixture into three glasses or ramequins. Cover them with cling film and let sit in the fridge for few hours.
- Before serving add the strawberry compote.
- Chop the strawberries in small pieces. If using frozen fruit, first thaw them a bit.
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine chopped strawberries and sugar. Stir gently from time to time until the mixture starts simmering. Lower the heat and keep stirring until the liquid is reduced (about 8 to 10 minutes).
- Remove the saucepan from the stove and let cool almost until room temperature.