It was time for me to bake cookies again, after I realised I haven’t posted any new cookie recipe in the blog since last Christmas! What a shame, considering that cookies are usually the easiest and less time consuming sweet treat to make! And they are especially worth when they are very delicious and almost addictive, like these White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies.
Actually the last time I baked cookies was one month ago but I decided not to count it because it was a complete fail. I made a number of mistakes in the recipe which led to excessively sweet, very flat and ugly looking cookies. I was so annoyed! They were still tasty, even though a bit too sugary in my view but I was totally disappointed with their texture and the way they looked. Of course, I didn’t throw them away, I gave them to friends who even said they were good to eat…
But what did I do so that these cookies became so bad? First of all I used almost a double quantity of sugar for the proportion of the other ingredients. I think I did it due to my distraction. Secondly I used a whole pack of baking powder (10 g or 2 teaspoons) for less than a cup of flour. And on top of this I accidentally started the preparation of the dough by beating together the egg and the sugar. That was quite bad because the more the eggs are beaten, the more air is added to the dough and this makes the cookies to spread. Normally the eggs should be added just before the flour and mixed shortly.
So after that tremendous cookie disaster I was really decided to bake a good batch of cookies now. Therefore I carefully considered the quantity of each of the products and added just a little bit of baking powder. I started the preparation the right way – by mixing together butter and sugar.
At the end the cookies became even better than expected! I achieved a nice, softer and chewy texture and even made the cookies not to spread much! They were not too sweet and had a very nice taste of white chocolate and pistachio.
I brought these cookies to work and offered them to my coworkers. They liked them very much! I don’t think it was said just out of politeness as the cookies disappeared shortly. My better half finished all the rest that I had left at home. Actually I only managed to try a cookie or two!
Needless to say, these cookies are quick and easy to make. And I am sure you will appreciate them very much – they might even become your new favourite cookies!
White Chocolate Pistachio Cookies
- 60 g brown sugar
- 40 g white sugar
- 110 g butter, melted
- 1 egg
- 100 g white chocolate, chopped into small pieces
- 205 g all purpose flour
- 20 g cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 50 g raw pistachio, pitted and chopped
- In a medium bowl combine flour, cornstarch and baking powder and whisk.
- In a large bowl beat together melted butter and the two kinds of sugar until well combined. Add egg and vanilla and whisk until homogeneous. Gradually add the dry mixture and stir until a soft dough forms. Add the chopped pistachio and white chocolate. Gently mix until absorbed in the batter.
- Wrap the dough in cling film and leave it in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 160 degrees C. Line 2 large baking pans with baking paper or baking mats.
- With your hands make balls out of the dough and arrange them on the prepared baking pans. Leave some distance in between as they will grow during baking.
- Bake on medium rack for 10 to 15 minutes or until the edges of the cookies start becoming golden brown (watch them carefully). If the bottoms are brown but the tops seem still too white, bake for another 5 minutes on top heat only.
- Remove the cookies from the oven and let cool for 5 minutes on the pan, before transferring them to a wire rack.