This recipe was in my plans for some time before I eventually prepared it and the waiting was worth: the delicious Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls exceeded my expectations! They are, fluffy, tasty and flavourful, great for breakfast, brunch or for a nice picnic lunch outdoors.
Same as many people, I love breads and rolls made with homemade dough but I don’t prepare them often. I always think that I don’t have enough time or that they are too time consuming. Needless to say, there are a hundred reasons why everyone should prepare homemade baked goods more often. It is not even true that they are complicated to make: the preparation time by itself is not much, you just need to allow the bread to raise. You can perfectly use this time to do other things at home.
My inspiration for these Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls came from the Chocolate Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls which I made earlier this year. Suddenly few weeks ago I started imagining these rolls in a savoury variant. After considering the idea for some time and playing in my head with different ingredients, I came up with a classic combination: ham and cheese. What kind of cheese? You can use cheddar, gouda, emental and any other hard yellow cheese that you might like.
One of the secrets of these rolls is the way the butter is applied in the dough. Half of the butter is included with the initial ingredients and the other half is melted and brushed several times around the dough. That makes the bread really fluffy and soft. The softness remains for several days – something I found pleasantly surprising. You can keep the leftover rolls in the fridge, covered with plastic wrap, and just reheat them shortly in the microwave or in the oven before serving them. Surely they will be great for at least 3 days.
The best thing about these Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls in my opinion is the possibility to make variations. You can substitute the ham with bacon if you prefer. Or you can add some herbs and tomato sauce. You can even use spinach and ricotta instead of ham and cheese: this dough is good with anything! You will never get bored of the rolls if you always prepare them differently!
If you are dreaming of a homemade savoury breakfast which is tasty and still not too complicated to make, these Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls are right for you. If you bake them, let me know in the comments how they turned out!
Ham and Cheese Bread Rolls
- 15 g active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 150 ml warm milk
- 150 g yogurt
- 60 g butter, cubed
- 60 g butter, melted
- 2 eggs
- 500 g all purpose flour, sifted (+ some more for kneading)
- 220 g yellow cheese, shredded
- 240 g ham, sliced
- In a cup combine warm milk, sugar and dry yeast and stir. Cover with kitchen paper and set aside for 10 minutes until the mixture becomes foamy.
- In a large bowl beat the eggs shortly. Add the yeast mixture and the butter and continue beating until almost combined (the butter will probably remain in pieces, which is ok). Add the yogurt and the salt. Gradually add the flour, lowering the speed of the mixer.
- When a soft dough starts to form, start kneading with the dough attachment of the mixer or by hand, until the whole 500 g flour is absorbed.
- Make a ball out of the dough, flour it gently and leave it in the bowl. Cover with tea towels and leave in a warm place for 30 minutes to 1 h to raise.
- Grease well the bottom and the sides of a rectangular baking pan (about 19x29 cm).
- Roll the dough between two sheets of parchment paper. Brush from the melted butter on top of the rolled dough. Fold half of the dough onto the other half, so that the buttered side is enclosed inside. Roll the dough again. Brush again with butter and fold the same way, covering the buttered side. Repeat the procedure several times, until the butter is almost over.
- Roll the dough into a rectangular shape (approximately 35x40 cm). Spread evenly the cheese and the ham on top.
- Roll up the dough starting at the long side end. Use the parchment paper on the bottom as a support by lifting it. Make a log and cut it into 12 pieces (rolls). Arrange the rolls into the greased pan. Spread the remaining melted butter on top.
- Cover the pan with parchment paper and on top with tea towels. Let it stay in warm place for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C (400 degrees F). Bake for 30-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cover with a tea towel. Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving.