A delicious and healthy cake: that is the dream of everyone with a sweet tooth! Carrot cake is one of the nicest classic desserts on Earth and in this version you can enjoy it
almost guilt free!
Recently I’ve been trying to bake healthier desserts due to the fact that my son wants to eat every single cake made by me. He just can’t wait for the next time when I would turn on the mixer! He is so obsessed that even asked me to make a cake while we were on a vacation with his grandparents – and this considering that cakes and sweets were not missing where we were.
Actually I made this Carrot Cake few months ago but I didn’t manage to publish it until now as I was too busy with Christmas desserts. Now, in January, when everyone is deciding to stop indulging and to start following a healthier lifestyle, I believe the time for this cake has come 🙂
What’s the special thing about this Healthy Carrot Cake? It is made with very little flour and lots of ground nuts (hazelnuts and almonds). It also contains (obviously) a big quantity of carrots. As a result the layers are moist but still pretty solid.
I used coconut oil in the recipe but if you don’t have it, olive oil would be a great substitution.
The frosting is very delicious, made of ricotta, mascarpone and honey. It is very similar to the one in my Honey Cake with Ricotta and Figs – for the current recipe I just changed a bit the proportions to achieve a slightly richer texture. This is so far the easiest delicious frosting with no refined sugar that I know.
As I wanted this cake to be completely healthy, I made the decoration out of raw carrot stripes. Indeed it is not the most beautiful decoration you and me have seen but it works for the purpose. I wanted to come up with something new and interesting but didn’t have much inspiration at this moment. As a result the cake was not as photogenic as I hoped: all these orange curly stripes look a bit bizarre o the photos, I admit. Nevertheless this decoration is ideal when you would offer the cake to kids.
Apart from healthy this cake is also easy to make… Yes, certainly this is your recipe for the next baking weekend 🙂
Healthy Carrot Cake with Almonds and Hazelnuts
For the cake base:
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C (350 degrees F). Line a 18 cm (7 inch) cake pan with a circle of parchment paper. Grease well the pan on top of the paper and around the sides.
- In a bowl combine spelt flour, ground almonds, ground hazelnuts, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In a mixing bowl beat the eggs until thick and foamy. Add honey and beat until combined. Add oil and vanilla and beat again shortly, until smooth.
- Using a wooden spoon fold in the dry ingredients. Add the grated carrots and mix gently to distribute them evenly around the batter.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan. Smooth the cake on top if needed and then bake for 40-45 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the centre comes out with almost no crumbs.
- Let the cake cool 10 minutes in the pan and then remove it after carefully running a knife around the edges. Let cool until room temperature before assembling.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Beat with an electric mixer until fluffy.
To assemble the cake:
- Using a long serrated knife cut the cake horizontally in two layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and cover with 1/3 of the frosting. Place on top the second layer. Cover the cake on top and all around with the remaining frosting.
- Decorate with almond flakes and raw carrot stripes cut with potato peeler.