Recently I have been obsessed with the idea for a raw healthy cake but for a long time I was not able to find the courage to prepare such. Until one weekend when I woke up with a definitive drive to complete that challenge. And so I prepared that healthy and absolutely delicious Raw Avocado Banana Cake.
This cake is almost vegan. Almost because it contains honey which is not considered really vegan. However my idea for the cake was not to make it vegan, it was to make it healthy and with particularly pleasing taste. A cake that you can eat without any guilt and regret afterwards. A cake that is easy enough to prepare and tasty enough to make disappear very soon…
Nevertheless if you want to make it vegan, you can just substitute the honey with agave or maple syrup. They are healthy sweeteners as well.
The Raw Avocado Banana Cake is my own creation but to be fair, there are hundreds of similar recipes in Internet. I wanted to experiment with a set of products I like – that’s how I ended up making a crust out of dried cranberries, raisins and hazelnuts. In fact the crust is so tasty that I could eat it just like this. It is so tasty that you might even be tempted to make raw truffles out of the crust mixture. This is probably the first cake ever in which I enjoy more the crust than the filling!
But that doesn’t mean that the filling is not enjoyable. It is actually quite smooth and nice, thanks to the avocado and the coconut oil. The bananas on the other hand, together with the vanilla extract, are refining the taste and even the texture.
The filling has a smoothie-like consistency, though. That means that you can’t expect it to become stiff enough to hold onto the crust without staring to leak. In order to make it solid, you need to freeze the cake for a while. But let’s be clear: this is not an ice cream cake, it is a raw and slightly frozen cake. The important thing is to eat it when it is just set – not really frozen but not defrosted either. This state is reached after about 3-4 hours in the freezer or if it stays longer – after 15-30 minutes at room temperature.
You will surely enjoy the Raw Avocado Banana Cake, no matter if you are looking for a healthier diet or not. Needless to say, this is the perfect cake – delicious and also good for you!
Raw Avocado Banana Cake
- Food Processor
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup / 50 g dried cranberries
- 1/2 cup / 50 g ground hazelnuts
- 1/3 cup / 50 g raisins
- 1 tbs liquid honey
- 3 tbs coconut oil, melted
- Line the bottom of a 17-20 cm (7-8 inch) spring form pan with a circle of baking paper.
- Combine all ingredients in a food processor. Process until a sticky ball is formed. Press the mixture onto the bottom of the prepared pan. Leave it in the freezer until preparing the filling.
- Wash well the bowl and the blades of the food processor before making the filling.
- Combine all ingredients in the food processor and puree until smooth.
- Pour the filling on top of the crust.
- Freeze the cake for at least 3-4 hours before serving.
- The coconut oil melts at a very low temperature so if it is hot in the kitchen, it might be completely liquid in the jar. In case it is not, melt it in a small bowl placed into a pan of hot water.
- Keep any leftovers in the freezer. When the cake is deeply frozen, let is stay for 15 to 30 minutes at room temperature before serving.