Can you make at home a very tasty frozen treat that is also healthy and low carb? Sure! This Keto Avocado Ice Cream with chocolate chips is crunchy and velvety at the same time! It is the ultimate easy sweet treat for kids and adults.
Why is this ice cream good
This ice cream recipe is easy and calls for healthy and nutritious ingredients only. It is kid friendly but also a perfect treat for adults. It’s great way to make your kids eat avocados if they don’t normally like them. This ice cream combines the tastes of avocado, cream and chocolate in a very irresistible way.
How do you make this ice cream
Making the ice cream mixture is super easy: process the ripe avocados together with xylitol (or other low carb sweetener) into a puree. Add the whipped cream and then add also semisweet chocolate chips or chocolate chunks. Alternatively you can use mascarpone instead of whipped cream for even richer texture. In that case mix the mascarpone together with the avocados in the food processor and simply add the chocolate chips afterwards.
For this recipe you would need a food processor to puree the avocados and a mixer to whip the cream. Optionally you might use an ice cream maker as well. You can also make the recipe as a no-churn ice cream however when you freeze it in a box, it hardens quite a lot. A possible solution for the no-churn version is to take it out of the freezer at least 30 minutes before serving it, in order to give it some time to soften.
I know, it is a bit strange that avocados get so hard when frozen but this is the fact. Regardless if you use an ice cream maker for this recipe or not, the result will be equally tasty and healthy treat for your family. I froze this ice cream in a box and it turned out delicious and satisfying.
That ice cream is great for dessert or as an afternoon snack! Serve it directly from the ice cream maker or if taking it from the freezer, make sure you leave it at room temperature for at least half an hour first. Another great option is to freeze it in popsicle moulds. The mixture will be just perfect as popsicles because it is very tasty and rich but its texture tends to become solid when frozen. That’s a perfect way to avoid scooping it.
I hope you would enjoy this recipe! If you made it, let me know how it went and how did you serve it! If you liked it, please share the link in social media so more people can benefit from it.
Interested in more healthy frozen desserts? Check out the selection below:
Keto Avocado Ice Cream with chocolate chips
- Food Processor
- Electric mixer
- 2 medium avocados, ripe
- 1 cup / / 250 ml heavy cream, cold (or mascarpone -see notes)
- 2 tbs xylitol
- ⅓ cup / 60 g dark chocolate chips, over 70% cocoa
- In a food processor puree avocados and xylitol.
- In a large mixing bowl whip the cream until thick. Using a rubber spatula fold the avocado mixture into cream. Fold in also the chocolate chips.
- Transfer the mixture to an ice cream maker, following the manufacturer instructions (you might need to freeze the ice cream for few hours first).
- Alternatively, if you don't have an ice cream maker, you can freeze the ice cream for several hours in a freezer container or in popsicle moulds.
- For even richer texture use mascarpone instead of cream. In this case puree all together the avocados, mascarpone and xylitol in the food processor, until creamy. Then add the chocolate chips with a spatula.
- You can even make this ice cream with 1 cup cream and 1 cup mascarpone. In this case double the quantity of the sweetener and use 3-4 medium avocados.
- This ice cream is very tasty, however if left for a long time in the freezer it becomes rock solid. If this happens, leave it at room temperature for at least 30 minutes before serving it (that doesn't apply for popsicles).