Delicious soft chocolate cookies that melt in your mouth, are low in carbohydrates and are even good for your teeth: that is not just a surreal dream. You can really make these fantastic Keto Cream Cheese Cookies in your kitchen!
What kind of cookies are keto
Normally when you think of cookies, you imagine sugar and flour. Cookies normally contain carbs and usually also gluten. Well, this is not really the case when we talk about keto or low carb desserts. While we still need flour and sweetener for them, wheat flour is absolutely not suitable, neither is sugar. Neither any other ingredient with lots of carbohydrates. But what are we using in this case?
Nut flours! Most nuts are perfectly suitable for keto meals as they are rich in fats and contain very little carbs. There are endless variations of batters and doughs made with ground nuts or with seeds like flax or chia. Regarding the sweeteners, there are certain low carb sugar substitutes that you can use, for example most sugar alcohols. Xylitol is my favourite and my second choice is erythritol.
What ingredients do you need for these Keto Cream Cheese Cookies
These cookies are made with three kinds of flour: coconut flour, flax seed meal and pumpkin seed flour. They all contribute for the cookies’ health qualities and also for better texture. Some cocoa powder is added for intensive chocolate taste and beautiful colour. The recipe calls also for vanilla extract, baking powder, melted butter, egg, xylitol as a sweetener and cream cheese. That last ingredient makes the cookies taste really great and contributes for their wonderful softness.
How to make Keto Cream Cheese Cookies
First you have to whisk together the cream cheese and melted butter. Then add vanilla, xylitol and the egg and whisk again. At the end add gradually all dry ingredients and make a soft dough. The whole process will take about 10 minutes. Cool the dough in the fridge for 30 minutes, then shape the cookies and arrange them into a baking tin lined with parchment paper. Bake until their edges start becoming darker.
Why are these cookies good
These cookies are a great dessert or snack for your whole family. Kids above one year old can eat them too: xylitol is perfectly safe and even contributes for the teeth health. The rest of the ingredients also have lots of nutritional qualities. These cookies are a perfect choice for a homemade snack even if you are not on a low carb diet. Last but not least, they are SUPER TASTY, which is the best quality of cookies, isn’t it?
I would be very happy if you like this recipe! If you have any questions or feedback, please write in the comments. My goal is always to give you recipes that are easy, delicious and as healthy as possible! And of course, to help you become better in baking.
Keto Cream Cheese Cookies
- In a bowl combine baking powder, pumpkin seed flour and flax seed meal. Whisk to blend and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl whisk together butter and cream cheese until smooth. Add xylitol, egg and vanilla and whisk very well, until absorbed. Fold cocoa powder and the pumpkin and flax mixture into the batter. At the end gradually add the coconut flour. Make a soft dough and leave it to rest for 30 minutes in the fridge, covered.
- Preheat oven to 360 degrees F/ 180 degrees C. Line two large baking tins with parchment paper.
- Make walnut size balls out of the dough and then press them gently to make them flat. Arrange the cookies into the prepared tins.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes or until the edges start becoming darker.
- Add the coconut flour carefully to avoid making the dough too thick. If you realise you don’t need the whole quantity, don’t use it.
- You can skip the pumpkin seeds flour and add additional 2 tbs flax seed flour.
- Resting time is not mandatory but is highly recommended.