This wonderful cake with raspberry frosting and coconut layers is simply delicious! An irresistible combination of tastes perfect for any occasion!
What is special about this cake
The layers of this cake are made of whole grain spelt flour in combination with cake flour and shredded coconut. This gives them a light coconut tase, which goes together very well with the spelt.
The frosting is made with raspberries, cream cheese and butter. The cream cheese gives it a velvety texture and the raspberry flavour complements unexpectedly well the coconut!
The preparation of the layers is quite easy: you simply need to beat the wet ingredients and to add the dry ingredients to them gradually. You need only one pan for this recipe, so that you can cut it in three layers!
For the frosting first you need to make a jam from the raspberries and remove the seeds (if you want). Then you have to add it to the butter and cream cheese, which has been creamed together.
The detailed instructions and ingredient quantities are below the post, in the recipe card!
The decoration on the photos is simple: just shredded coconut and raspberries on top.
This cake would be very pretty with only its frosting and few raspberries spread around the top. If it is not raspberry season, you can use frozen or dried fruits for decoration.
I hope you would love this delicious raspberry coconut cake! Let me know in the comments how it went, in case you made it!
More raspberry desserts that you might enjoy:
- Chocolate Cake with Raspberry Filling
- Raspberry Cheesecake Cake
- Chocolate Raspberry Cinnamon Rolls with Sour Cream Glaze
- Four-layer Raspberry Chocolate cake
Coconut Cake With Raspberry Frosting
For the cake base:
- ⅓ cup/ 85 g whole grain spelt flour
- ⅓ cup/ 75 g cake flour, or all-purpose flour
- 1 cup/ 100 g shredded coconut
- 3 eggs
- ⅔ cup/ 130 g sugar
- ¼ cup/ 70 g honey
- ⅞ cup/ 200 g sour cream
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ⅓ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup/ 50 ml vegetable oil, I prefer olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the frosting and for topping:
- 1 ½cup/ 180 g raspberries, fresh or frozen + more for decoration
- ½ cup/ 125 g butter, soft
- 12 oz/ 350 g cream cheese
- 1/½ cup/ 185 g powdered sugar
- 1 cup/ 100 g shredded coconut
- 2 tablespoon caster sugar
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180° C. Line the bottom of a 7 inch/ 18 cm cake pan with a circle of parchment paper and then grease well the inside of the pan.
- In a medium bowl combine flour, spelt flour, baking powder and salt. Mix to blend and set aside.
- In a large bowl beat together oil, honey and sugar until smooth. Add eggs, one at a time, vanilla and sour cream. Continue whisking until well combined. Gradually add the dry ingredients, mixing carefully with a spatula until just absorbed. At the end fold in the coconut flakes.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-60 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean and the top becomes golden brown.
- Take the pan out of the oven and let it cool for 5 minutes before removing the cake. Let the base cool to room temperature before assembling the cake.
- In a small saucepan cook the raspberries with the caster sugar for 5-10 minutes until they start thickening.
- Optionally pass the raspberries through a fine mesh sieve to remove the seeds (I didn't do it).
- In a large mixing bowl beat butter and powdered sugar until creamy. Add the cream cheese and beat again, until combined.
- Gradually add the raspberry coulis. Beat with the mixer continuously, until the frosting becomes fluffy.
To assemble the cake:
- With a serrated knife cut the cake base horizontally in 3 equal layers. Place one layer on a serving plate and spread on top some of the frosting.
- Continue the process with the other 2 layers. Spread the remaining frosting over the cake and all around it.
- Sprinkle with coconut flakes and decorate with fresh or frozen raspberries.