If you are looking for a super moist banana bread recipe with delicious cheesecake filling. This Cream Cheese Banana Bread is really easy to make and will impress you with its taste!
Is this recipe healthy
Homemade banana bread from scratch is definitely healthier than majority of the store bought kinds or the ones made with a cake mix. Limiting the sugar quantity makes the final product healthier.
This particular recipe is healthier than many other banana bread recipes due to the einkorn flour and the healthy fats from the butter. Still it contains some sugar so we can’t say it is “healthy” for real.
This banana bread recipe calls for two bananas, yogurt, brown sugar, butter, eggs and einkorn flour, mixed with all purpose flour. It is flavoured with cinnamon, nutmeg and vanilla. The cream cheese is added in the filling. But if you like, you can also cover the baked banana bread with cream cheese frosting.
This recipe is so easy to make!
First you have to beat together the mashed bananas with eggs and sugar. Then you add gradually melted butter, yogurt, vanilla and the dry ingredients.
Separately you have to beat the cream cheese with one egg and some vanilla extract to make the filling.
At the end you just have to layer the batter and the filling into a loaf pan and bake.
How to keep it moist
All kinds of banana bread should be stored in airtight container or covered with plastic wrap. This particular one is best kept in the fridge, again covered. It should be stored the same way as a cheesecake.
Can you freeze it
Freezing banana bread is really easy and this particular recipe doesn’t make an exception. Just wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in the freezer. You can keep it there for about a month.
I promise you, this is one of the best recipes for banana bread that you have tried! I brought it to the office for my birthday and people asked me for the recipe right after tasting it!
Let me know in the comments what you think of my Cream Cheese Banana Bread! If you bake it, I will be glad to receive your feedback.
Want to check more recipes with bananas? Check out the selection below:
Cream Cheese Banana Bread
For the bread:
For the filling:
- 1 egg
- ⅞ cup/ 200 g cream cheese
- 1 tbs powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/180 degrees C . Grease a rectangular loaf tin and line it with a sheet of baking paper, so that the paper hangs on two sides.
- In a medium bowl combine all purpose flour, spelt flour, baking soda, cinnamon and nutmeg. Mix well to blend.
- Mash the bananas with a fork and transfer them to a large mixing bowl. Add eggs and sugar. Beat with an electric mixer at high speed for 3-5 minutes, until the mixture increases its volume.
- Add melted butter and beat shortly until combined. Add yogurt and vanilla and beat for few seconds with the mixer at lower speed, until absorbed in the batter.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold the dry ingredients into the batter. Mix gently, just until absorbed.
- Pour half of the batter into the prepared pan. Spoon the cream cheese filling in the middle of the pan, avoiding the sides. Pour the rest of the batter to cover the filling. Optionally leave just a bit of the filling to cover the top of the bread.
- Bake for 40-50 minutes with the rack at the lower part of the oven. Test for readiness using a toothpick: if it comes out clean, the bread is ready. In case the top starts becoming dark but the bread is still not ready, cover it with a sheet of baking paper or aluminium foil, to prevent burning.
- Let the Cream Cheese Banana Bread cool completely inside the pan. Carefully run a knife around the edges and then invert it on a serving plate.
- In a medium bowl beat all ingredients with an electric mixer until smooth.
- You can make a Double Cream Cheese Banana Bread by covering the baked bread with a cream cheese frosting.
- Make sure the loaf pan is filled about ⅔ of its capacity. Otherwise some of the batter might leak during the baking (it happened to me).