Nice and refreshing, this Sugar Free Raspberry Orange Lemonade is a perfect summer treat. In fact you can make it at almost at any time of the year as it doesn’t require fresh raspberries – frozen are good enough. But during the summer when lemonade seems to be the best drink on earth, this recipe will bring you joy and will refresh you in the hot days! And being sugar free it is even healthy!
My biggest summer addiction is drinking lemonade: the one with real, freshly squeezed fruit juice. I just can’t stop myself! Since I almost gave up soda (I only allow myself a can of diet coke when I am tired and in a bad mood, but not more often than once a 2-3 months), lemonade is my guilty pleasure drink in the hot days. Guilty because it usually contains sugar.
As you might have noticed, I am quite obsessed with raspberries recently. I always loved that fruit but in the last year I probably made 200 desserts with raspberries! If I continue like that, soon I might rename this site to “The Raspberry Blog” or “Raspberry Obsession”. That’s a joke of course, but in case you also like that fruit, you might want to check my Double Chocolate Mousse with Raspberry Sauce or the Four-layer Raspberry Chocolate Cake.
Not surprisingly, one go my goals this summer was to make a raspberry lemonade. I also wanted it to be sugar free so that I could drink it guilt free… Well, it is true that I eat lots of sweets but when it comes to drinks I am always very worried to have anything with added sugar. Not very wise I guess, considering how much cake I eat on a monthly basis.
So I started thinking about the recipe: what do you need for a raspberry lemonade? Raspberries + lemons. And how about oranges? Maybe add some orange juice? Why not!
The most difficult part was the sweetener. The logical options for me were honey or stevia: both natural ingredients. And while honey is still adding calories to the drink, stevia is probably the only natural low energy sweetener.
I tried the lemonade with both of them and I can’t say which is better. That’s why I am listing the two options in the recipe. Some people don’t like stevia at all as according to them it changes the taste of the drinks. If this is your opinion too, just use honey: it really gives a nice tasty touch to all the fruits.
No matter which sweetener you choose, one thing is certain: this Sugar free Raspberry Orange Lemonade is one of the tastiest and refreshing summer drinks that you can imagine and it is made in less than 30 minutes!
Sugar free Raspberry Orange Lemonade
- 160 g raspberries, (fresh or frozen)
- 650 ml water
- 150 ml freshly squeezed lemon juice, (from 2-3 lemons)
- 150 ml freshly squeezed orange juice, (from 1 orange)
- 2 tbs honey or 1/2-1 teaspoon stevia powder
- In a medium saucepan combine raspberries and 300 ml water and warm them up over low heat until reaching about 30-40 degrees C. Remove from the stove and transfer the mixture to a food processor. Puree for 1-2 minutes until smooth. Pass the mixture through a sieve into a pitcher to remove the seeds.
- Add honey or stevia and stir continuously until dissolved.
- Pass the lemon and the orange juice through the sieve as well and add them to the raspberry mixture. Fill in the pitcher with the remaining water.
- Serve over ice.