One of the easiest ways to get cozy this season is by drinking Pumpkin Spice Latte. And even better: you can also make your own version of this famous Starbucks drink with homemade pumpkin pie spice! Read on to find the recipe together with tips how to accommodate it to your taste and liking.
Ingredients for Pumpkin Spice Latte
In summary you need coffee, milk, sweetener, pumpkin puree and spices. But each of these ingredients can be accommodated as a kind or quantity as per your preferences.
I made my Pumpkin Spice Latte with full fat cow milk, brown sugar, squash puree and a homemade pumpkin pie spice blend. But within the recipe you will find also other variations that you can follow.
You might ask now: what is the special thing about YOUR pumpkin pie spice blend…
What’s pumpkin pie spice
Pumpkin pie spice is a mixture of spices, typical in American cuisine. It is commonly used in desserts with pumpkin or squash but also in apple or pecan desserts. Typically contains the following ground spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger and allspice. It can be found in the grocery stores but you can make your own at home.
I love making my own spice mixes because I can control the proportions of the different spices in them. Also I can add or remove ingredients as per my taste.
In the recipe below I added a secret ingredient: turmeric. I like it because it has a neutral taste, nice yellow colour and at the same time it has powerful anti-inflammatory properties. Adding turmeric to your pumpkin pie spice blend can be very beneficial and surely doesn’t impact negatively its taste – just the opposite.
How to make Pumpkin Spice Latte
Making Pumpkin Spice Latte at home is really easy.
First you need to prepare the coffee. A strong coffee like espresso would work best, but you can technically make it with any kind. One of the best things of the homemade latte is that you can use the coffee you normally drink at home.
Secondly you need to prepare the milk. Combine the remaining ingredients into a saucepan and whisk until the mixture starts simmering.
It is time to add the coffee to the saucepan, just for few seconds. Then you can pour the mixture into mugs and serve. Well, there is one more, optional step for extra richness: add some whipped cream on top.
Pumpkin Spice Latte variations
You can prepare the Pumpkin Spice Latte in many different ways. I will just list several options below in which you can follow the same recipe:
Make it vegan with coconut or almond milk. In fact any non dairy milk would work. Top it with coconut whipped cream.
Make it super healthy by sweetening it with honey or maple syrup.
If you are worried about the Pumpkin Spice Latte calories, use skimmed milk and sweeten it with xylitol or stevia.
Want your Pumpkin Spice Latte without the pumpkin? No problem! Even if you skip the puree, it will still be delicious with just milk, sugar and spices.
I am sure you will love this recipe once you try it! Let me know in the comments what you think of it! If you like it, please share in social media through the buttons below! That way it will reach more people who could benefit as well 🙂
Pumpkin Spice Latte Recipe
For the latte:
- 1/2 cup strong coffee, 120 ml
- 1 1/2 cups milk, 360 ml
- 2-4 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 tbs pumpkin puree
- 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, see below my homemade version
- whipped cream, optional
For the homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice:
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice, optional
Make the Pumpkin Spice Latte:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat combine milk, sugar, pumpkin and spices. Whisk until the mixture starts simmering. Add the coffee, stir and remove from the heat. Pour into mugs.
- Optionally top with whipped cream and sprinkle with more spices.
Make Pumpkin Pie Spice:
- Combine all ingredients and mix them. Transfer them to a small jar. Use 1/2 teaspoon for the Pumpkin Spice Latte and keep the rest for another time. You can store it in airtight container for up to six months.
- For vegan Pumpkin Spice Latte use a non dairy milk by choice.
- I prefer dark brown sugar for this recipe due to its nice caramel taste, but you can use also the light kind. Sugar can be substituted by maple syrup, honey, stevia, xylitol, erythritol or agave syrup.