You know these quick desserts that might not have the best look but are impossibly delicious? That Easy Banoffee Icebox Cake is one of them: ridiculously easy and made with only 6 ingredients, it will certainly please you. It is so simple that once I made it I didn’t know how on earth I hadn’t thought about that recipe earlier!
What kind of dessert is that
This dessert resembles very much the classic Banoffee Pie but it is even easier. The ingredients are layered in a nice and easy way so that the final result is a delicious mess of wonderful tastes. That’s why initially I called this cake “Banoffee mess”.
What ingredients you need
You need only 6 ingredients: bananas, graham crackers (or shortbread/ butter cookies/ nilla wafers), hazelnuts (or other nuts), dulce de leche, whipped cream and powdered sugar.
How did I come up with this recipe
One day I found this recipe completely by accident and I though it was a great variation of the Banoffee Pie. I love making popular recipes in alternative ways so I immediately decided that trying this one was a must. The main update I did was to add some ground hazelnuts because in my view they are a great touch to any dessert with bananas. But if you don’t have hazelnuts or you don’t like them too much, you can use other nuts, like for example walnuts.
Is this recipe easy
It literally takes 30 minutes to prepare the ingredients and to arrange them in the pan. Then you need 4-6 hours fridge time: try not to skip it otherwise the cookies or graham crackers might not be moist enough when you start eating the cake. But if this doesn’t bother you, of course you can eat it straight away!
I am sure you would love this Banoffee Mess Cake and your family too! One of the greatest things about it is that you can make it together with your kids – it is so easy. Just layer up together the prepared ingredients and that’s it.
Oh, and in case you were wondering, I am not really satisfied with the photos this time as well, even though the photo session took me forever. Nevertheless I couldn’t skip this recipe today because I knew you would be thankful for it 🙂
If you liked this recipe, you may also like the following:
- No Bake Lemon Mousse Cake
- Easy Icebox Cake with Dulce de Leche (4 ingredients!)
- Pumpkin Tiramisu
- Blondie with Walnuts
Easy Banoffee Icebox Cake
- 3 medium sized bananas, sliced
- 1¾ cup/ 400 ml cold whipping cream
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 8,8 oz/ 250 g graham crackers, nilla wafers/ shortbread cookies/ butter cookies, broken into pieces
- 1 cup/ 80 g ground hazelnuts, (raw or roasted)
- 1 can/ 400 ml/ 14 oz dulce de leche
- chocolate sprinkles, optional
- In a large mixing bowl whip the cream for 3-4 minutes with the mixer on high speed. Add powdered sugar and beat for another 1-2 minutes until the cream becomes very thick.
- In a medium rectangular or round pan arrange 1 layer of broken cookies/ crackers so that they cover well the bottom of the pan. Spread on top half of the dulce de leche (mix it well first so that its consistency becomes runnier). Cover with a layer of banana slices. Sprinkle⅓ of the ground hazelnuts on top of the bananas. Cover with half of the whipped cream.
- Repeat the process one more time, finishing all the prepared ingredients. On top of the second layer of whipped cream sprinkle ground hazelnuts and chocolate sprinkles (if using).
- Let the cake stay 4 to 6 hours in the fridge before serving.
- Store the cake for 2-3 days in the fridge, covered.
- Аdapted from Rejinilla