These cheese and olive muffins are the perfect breakfast or snack! They are very quick and easy to make and almost everyone will enjoy them. With this simple recipe you can make them from scratch in just few minutes and have a tasty snack for the whole family!
Why is this recipe good
Savoury muffins are among the best snacks to make at home! Especially when they contain wonderful ingredients such as cheese and olives. This recipe is very easy and you can use different kinds of cheese or olives, according to your taste. These muffins are perfect for morning breakfast, for afternoon snack, for picnic or for your kids to bring at school.
What ingredients to choose
Originally I made this muffins with Bulgarian white cheese. feel free to use feta instead as it is very similar. Other great options are cottage or ricotta cheese. If you want to try them in a different way, use grated cheddar or emmental: they will be still great but a bit different.
As for the olives, I prefer these muffins with green ones but if you like black olives, you can use them too.
You can make this recipe in mini muffin tin as well. Mini muffins are perfect as bite size appetisers for parties or for little kids as they don’t always manage to eat a whole large one.
Can you make this recipe keto
If you want to make these muffins keto, the only thing you need to change is the flour, since all the rest of the ingredients are low carb. You can use the same quantity of almond flour or ¼ cup coconut flour. See more keto options in the recipe card!
I would be glad if you share your opinion of this recipe in the comments! If you made it, let me know how it went!
Here is a selection of other savoury recipes from my blog that you might like:
Cheese and Olive muffins
- 4 eggs
- 1 ⅓ cup / 200 g feta cheese, crumbled, (see notes)
- ⅞ cup/ 200 g sour cream
- 3 tablespoon/ 45 ml olive oil
- 1 tablespoon poppy seeds
- ½ cup/ 100 g green olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 teaspoon/ 10 g baking powder
- 2 cups/ 240 g flour
- pinch of dried oregano, optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F/ 180°C. Line a muffin tin with 9 paper cases.
- In a large mixing bowl beat eggs until foamy.
- Add oil and sour cream and beat again until absorbed. Add cheese, poppy seeds, olives and oregano and mix gently with a rubber spatula until combined.
- Mix the baking powder with the flour in a bowl and then gradually fold them into the batter.
- Spoon the batter into the cups, filling them ¾ of the way full.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Test with a toothpick, inserted in the center of a central muffin: it has to come out clean.
- Let the muffins cool in the tins for 2-3 minutes and then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
- Instead of feta you can use Bulgarian white cheese which is similar. Cottage cheese and ricotta are also very good options.
- You can make mini muffins instead of large ones. One batch will make about 24.
- For keto version of these muffins you need to substitute the wheat flour with almond flour (same quantity) or coconut flour (¼ cup only). If you use coconut flour, you may increase the quantity of the cheese. Another option would be to use 1 cup almond flour + ¼ cup coconut flour.