This marvellous Walnut Sponge cake with Chocolate Chip Frosting is very rich and light at the same time. It is in fact a cake with two frostings: whipped cream with chocolate chips between the layers and cream cheese frosting on top.
What makes this recipe special
This cake is a combination of walnut sponge layers, whipped cream mixed with crunchy chocolate chips and a velvety cream cheese frosting. The sponge base is very light as it almost doesn’t contain fats (if the walnuts don’t count), so it pairs perfectly with the rich frosting.
What ingredients you need
This is a relatively simple cake which requires very common ingredients: eggs, sugar, walnuts, self-raising flour, vanilla and a bit of milk for the layers. For the frostings you need chocolate chips, heavy cream, cream cheese, butter and icing sugar. And of course, some vanilla extract for a nicer flavour.
The complete list of ingredients and the detailed instructions are below the post, in the recipe card.
Why this cake has two kinds of frosting
The two kinds of frosting are very different and they create a very nice contrast in every bite. The chocolate chips frosting is crunchy and creamy at the same time.
On the other hand the cream cheese frosting on top ads a velvety touch. It is very similar to the one of the Moist Vanilla Cake with Cream Cheese Buttercream Frosting but with a bit more prevalence of the cream cheese… And so the overall experience of the Walnut Sponge cake with Chocolate Chips Frosting is a great contrast between crunchy, fluffy, chocolate, vanilla and walnuts.
I decorated the cake with chocolate covered dried fruits and round sprinkles. If you prefer something different, there are many other decoration options: halved walnuts, piped frosting, chocolate chunks or chocolate chips are just some of the ideas.
Surely you would love this cake if you make it! It is perfect for any celebration or for a birthday party. It is also not difficult to make and requires simple ingredients.
I have selected some more sponge cakes that you might love:
Walnut Sponge cake with Chocolate Chips Frosting
For the cake base:
- ½ cup/ 60 g ground walnuts
- 4 eggs, divided
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅞ cup/ 100 g self raising flour
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon/ 20 ml milk
- ¾ cup/ 150 g sugar
- pinch of salt
For the Chocolate Chips Frosting:
- ⅞ cup/ 200 g whipping cream, cold
- 2 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3,5 oz/ 100 g dark chocolate chips
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- ½ cup/ 125 g butter, soft
- 12 oz/ 350 g cream cheese
- 1 cup/ 150 g powdered sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Chocolate coated fruits and chocolate sprinkles.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F/ 180 degrees C. Line a 7-8 inch/ 18-20 cm cake pan with a circle of baking paper and then grease well the pan.
- In a bowl combine ground walnuts and flour and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl using an electric mixer beat egg yolks, sugar and vanilla until thick and pale. Gradually add the dry ingredients and the milk, folding gently with a rubber spatula until well combined.
- Wash and wipe the beaters of the mixer before beating the egg whites.
- In another large bowl beat the whites with a pinch of salt until soft peaks form. Using a rubber spatula little by little add the egg whites to the yolk mixture. Fold gently until uniform.
- Transfer the batter into the prepared pan and smooth the top with the spatula if needed. Bake for 40-45 minutes or until a wooden skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool until room temperature before assembling it.
Chocolate Chip Frosting:
- In a large bowl beat together cream, sugar and vanilla until very thick. With a rubber spatula fold in the chocolate chips.
Cream Cheese Frosting:
- In a mixing bowl with an electric mixer beat butter, vanilla and sugar until fluffy. Add cream cheese and continue beating until the frosting becomes smooth and fluffy.
- Cut the cake horizontally into 3 equal layers (the easiest way is to refrigerate it first and to use a long serrated knife).
- Place one layer on a cake stand/ serving plate and cover it with half of the Chocolate Chip Frosting.
- Place another layer on top and spread the remaining Chocolate Chip Frosting on it. Cover with the third layer.
- Frost the cake all around with the Cream Cheese Frosting. Decorate as desired.
- Refrigerate for 4-8 hours before serving.
- You can substitute the self-raising flour by same quantity of al-purpose flour mixed with 1,5 teaspoon baking powder and ⅓ teaspoon salt.
- Store the cake in the fridge for 2-3 days, covered with plastic wrap.
- You can make ahead just the layers and freeze them covered very well in plastic wrap. Keep them in the freezer for up to 3 months.