Pumpkin pie is a very favourite dessert of many people around the world. And as of this year I am also one of them! If you never tried pumpkin pie or you don’t have a good opinion about it, this is the perfect recipe for you: it is not only super easy but also unbelievably tasty!
This autumn I made a Pumpkin Pie for the first time ever. I made up the easiest possible recipe, literally using the ingredients I had in my pantry. The result was so great that I even prepared it again the week after, which was a total shock for my family. The reality is that being a food blogger, I rarely repeat dessert recipes and if I do it, normally it is after several months… But this one was totally irresistible!
How to make a Pumpkin Pie from scratch
Pumpkin Pie can be easy even when made completely from scratch. I even prepared the pumpkin puree by myself, same as the crust.
Once you have the puree, you can make the pie filling literally in five minutes. You just need to combine the ingredients in a large bowl and beat them with a mixer until smooth. Then you pour the mixture into the chilled crust and your easy pumpkin pie is ready to bake.
Oh, and you can even make your own Pumpkin Pie Spice as well!
How to make Olive Oil pie crust
Normally pie crusts are made with butter. I like them but I find them somehow challenging because the cold butter is very hard to work with (and I also don’t own a pastry cutter, which could really help). Hence the reason why I made my crust with olive oil was out of pure laziness. But I am really happy I tried it because I was amazed by its incredible taste! The flavour of extra virgin olive oil is just fantastic and it goes perfectly well together with the pumpkin. It goes well also on savoury goods like quiche.
In order to make the Olive Oil Pie Crust from scratch you need to use the same technique as for the normal butter crust, just substitute the cold butter with extra virgin olive oil. Mix the ingredients to make a dough and then press it to the bottom of the pie dish. That’s it.
How to make Pumpkin Puree
For this Pumpkin Pie Recipe you can use canned pumpkin puree or you can make even this ingredient on your own! It is easy, just a little time consuming because you need to wait for the pumpkin to cool down. The process is simple: just cut the pumpkin in two halves and bake them on a sheet of paper. When the pumpkin is completely cold, peel it, remove any burned parts and puree it in a food processor.
And do you want to know a secret? I used butternut squash for my first pumpkin pie. And I really loved it! It was also great with pumpkin but the butternut squash has a very mild, almost velvety taste and texture which is much less overwhelming, in my opinion. So if you don’t like pumpkin pie, using squash might be a great way to change your mind.
Is this recipe healthy
This pie is much healthier than majority of the desserts you can think of. It’s because the pumpkin by itself is a very healthy vegetable and practically nearly 1/3 of the whole pie is pure pumpkin. On the other hand the pie crust of this recipe is healthy too, considering that the olive oil is one of the best fats in the world. The most unhealthy ingredient in the whole recipe is the sugar in the sweetened condensed milk, which however might be better than using plain refined sugar.
How long can you keep this pie
Keep this Easy Pumpkin Pie covered with cling film in the fridge for 3-4 days. You can also freeze it, again covered. Keep it frozen for up to 3 months.
I would be very happy to receive your feedback regarding this recipe! If you like it, please share in social media through the buttons below! That way it will reach more people who could benefit as well 🙂
Easy Pumpkin Pie Recipe
For the Olive Oil Crust:
- 1/4 cup olive oil*, 60 ml
- 1 1/4 cup all purpose flour, 150 g
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3 tbs ice cold water
For the Filling:
- 1 can pumpkin puree*, 15 oz/ 425 g
- 1 can sweetened condensed milk, 14 oz/ 396 ml
- 2 eggs
- 1,5 teaspoon pumpkin spice*
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream
Olive Oil Crust:
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients. Using a wooden spoon start mixing until you make a crumbly dough. Transfer the dough to a 8 -10 inch glass or porcelain pie dish.
- Using your hands distribute the dough around the baking dish. Make a thin sheet and press it to the bottom and the sides of the dish.
- Place the pan in the fridge while preparing the filling.
- In a large mixing bowl combine all ingredients. Using an electric mixer beat for 1-2 minutes, until smooth and uniform.
- Pour the filling into the prepared crust. Bake for 30- 40 minutes at 350 degrees F / 180 degrees C or until the filling starts becoming golden brown around the sides and on the top.
- Let the pie cool completely at a room temperature. Cover with cling film and refrigerate it for at least 4 hours.
- Serve with sweetened whipped cream or just plain.
Bake for 30-40 minutes or until soft (test with a fork). Let the pumpkin cool completely and then discard the peel and all burned parts. Puree the pumpkin in a food processor until smooth.
Keep the pumpkin puree for up to 3 days refrigerated in an airtight container.
- This pie is equally nice with pumpkin or butternut squash puree.
- Find here the Homemade Pumpkin Pie Spice recipe
- You can substitute the olive oil in the crust with other vegetable oil but keep in mind that the taste might be slightly different and so the nutrition qualities.